Bob Bob is offline

Default Trying to decide on a boat...

On Feb 10, 1:48 pm, Jere Lull wrote:

I was one of the first who talked with Skip -- before he actually
started his search. Though I've not met him except online, I consider
him a friend and am devastated by his recent setback.

I too follwoed with great interest his boat search, later refit, and
recently crash............ I would think Skip is most likley the
safest salior around................... now. One very luck couple. He
seems like a can-do-guy that will be back at it again.

One of the many positive ouctcomes from all this, besides there
safety, they certaily have pounded home some very important lessons to
the rest of us.
Bob

Another source of a similar search, though his ultimate choice differed:
http://cruisenews.net/index.php He eventually chose a Tanzer, but his
search results remain as a beacon for other searchers.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages:http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

On Feb 9, 6:31 pm, wrote:
So... any thoughts? Anybody own/sail an Ericson 27? An Islander 28? Crown
28? How fast are they? Not looking for cutthroat racing, just getting to
my destination faster, or sailing in light air instead of having to motor.

druid

We owned an Islander 28 for ten years and thought it was a very nice
boat. Our boat had some crazing in the deck gelcoat that lowered her
value both when we bought her and sold her. We had two head sails for
it, a 110 and a 150 and used the 150 most of the time in the summer.
She sailed nice, had a nice layout down below and I thought it was
well put together. We didn't have a dodger on it and we found out
what we were missing for ten years when our next boat came with one.
Get a dodger!

There are some pictures of our old Islander in this video link
including some footage of us going through Malibu Rapids when it was
running at 9 knots.

Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnjLgDt9-XI

Thanks, Ray - some Very Familiar scenery there! How many were aboard
on that trip (looks like 3 or 4?) Was it "crowded"? How many days was
the trip? Yes, dodger is Your Friend - I'm even thinking of making a
permanent one, since the plastic windshields are soon hard to see
through.

I thought about the Cal 2-27, and it's definitely "on the list",
although there are SO many variations, some with very little headroom
(some are stretched Cal 25's, others look like Columbia 26s...).

Coronados remind me too much of Columbia's. Anyway, remember that
"Captain" that was on the NG a few years ago, who had a website
inviting young girls to be "taught" sailing? The one that talked about
entering a crowded anchorage under full spinaker? The one that knew
everything? He had a Coronado...

druid