Default Trying to decide on a boat...

OK,

First it was a Catalina 27. Then, an Ericson 27. Now, I'm considering
Islander 28 or Crown 28. Here's my Take so far:

Catalina 27: kinda cheaply made, but fast, especially upwind in light air
like we get a lot around here. AND it's kinda a Mini-me of my Catalina 36,
and although I love it, I think I'd like something different. One
advantage is that they're VERY common around here - would be easy to find
what I want locally.

Ericson 27: looked good until I looked up PHRF ratings - they sound SLOW!
Same or slower than a Columbia 26, slower than a Cal 25...

Islander 28: Fast and well-built, lots of room inside, sea-kindly... but
hard to find, especially in "fixer-upper" shape, which is all I can afford

Crown 28: not quite as nice inside as an Islander, but still good - don't
know how fast they are, though.

C&C 27: a bit faster than a Catalina, maybe better built, but usually
thrashed. Not high on my list...

Oday 27, Mirage 27, Hunter 27.... basically carbon cutouts of a Catalina
27.

So... any thoughts? Anybody own/sail an Ericson 27? An Islander 28? Crown
28? How fast are they? Not looking for cutthroat racing, just getting to
my destination faster, or sailing in light air instead of having to motor.

druid

"druid" wrote in message
news
[...]

Lloyd

It will be hard to replace Far Cove.

I think that you have answered your question.

On the "Wet Coast" you need a light air boat - period. Since you live on
the mainland, you kight consider the issues of crossing Georgia Strait.

My only suggestion is to watch yachtworld.com and, when a likeable boat in
the PNW is listed, go for a look-see and a sea trial.

Jack

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
Director, Swiftsure Sailing Academy
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

So... any thoughts? Anybody own/sail an Ericson 27? An Islander 28? Crown
28? How fast are they? Not looking for cutthroat racing, just getting to
my destination faster, or sailing in light air instead of having to motor.

druid

We owned an Islander 28 for ten years and thought it was a very nice
boat. Our boat had some crazing in the deck gelcoat that lowered her
value both when we bought her and sold her. We had two head sails for
it, a 110 and a 150 and used the 150 most of the time in the summer.
She sailed nice, had a nice layout down below and I thought it was
well put together. We didn't have a dodger on it and we found out
what we were missing for ten years when our next boat came with one.
Get a dodger!

There are some pictures of our old Islander in this video link
including some footage of us going through Malibu Rapids when it was
running at 9 knots.

Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnjLgDt9-XI

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 17:47:27 -0800, druid wrote:

OK

Snip
So... any thoughts?

we've been here before

Canadian builder, quality, fast, taught C&C everything they knew about
building boats...just not everything _he_ knew.

for example

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...&searcht ype=

further reading can be had at

http://www.clic.net/~dcooper/hinterhoeller/mainen.html

check out "Nike" #46...niiice (but mine's nicer ;-)
these are not tub toys

"druid" wrote in message
[...]

Coronado 27 or 28 would be in the same ballpark, I think. Any in your area?
I looked at quite a few back several years ago before I bought Escapade,
prices from $3000 - 7500 or so. Some in fair shape, some in good shape,
some... well, not so much.

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 01:59:37 +0000, Jack Dale wrote:

"druid" wrote in message
[...]

The Islander 28 looks like a nice boat, although I've never sailed one. I
did see a large fleet of them racing in the Gulf Islands last year, so
there must be a bunch of them around. They looked like they sailed well.

My favorite of that size and type was always the Cal 2-27, a great
light air boat that I used to rent a lot in southern CA. It was
satisfying to sail in the lightest breezes, yet handled a big breeze
pretty well too. A friend raced one for years and did well.

The Catalina may have a nicer interior, but I think the Cal is built more
solidly, and a bit faster.

Here's a fan page: http://pages.sssnet.com/go2erie/cal227.htm

Matt O.

druid wrote:

[...]

Didn't really say what kind of conditions except for light air. Nothing
about water depth, open seas, any need for overnighting (or longer), etc.

Cat 27s are OK. There are a lot of them so its easy to find one that is
in good shape and fits your budget.

I've yet to see a C&C 27 that doesn't have significant deck delamination
problems. They sail great but IMO have too many moisture problems. C&C
26 seem like great boats (except for the eggine).

I'd keep my eyes open for an O'Day 30. They sail well in a wide variety
of conditions and seem to me to be undervalued used boats. BIG
interior, don't need a lot of maintenance (just keep the fuel clean and
the oil changed). I've seen then go for the price of a Cat 27 or a
Hunter 27. But there aren't as many out there as the Cats and Hunters.

I never gained an appreciation for the O'Day 27.

Hunters 27s aren't Catalina 27s. IMO the Cats are a lot quicker and
better sailing boats. The Hunter 27s seem like they're trying to be
bigger boats than th4ey actually are. The one-lung Yannie is nice. I
looked closely at several Hunter 27s. But IMO they don't do very well
in light air.

We liked the smaller Hunter 25.5 a LOT better, enough to buy one.

Don't know much about the rest.

In article ,
druid wrote:

First it was a Catalina 27. Then, an Ericson 27. Now, I'm considering
Islander 28 or Crown 28. Here's my Take so far:

Don't concern yourself much with apparent speed or anything like that,
as your criteria is "how well does the boat do what I want it to do?"

In most day sail events, the difference between the fastest and slowest
sailboat is that the fastest will be settling down on their anchor as
the slowest show up.

And a slow hull-form can transform itself from slow to moderately-fast
by a sail change.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/
Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 9, 5:47 pm, druid wrote:

OK,
First it was a Catalina 27. Then, an Ericson 27. Now, I'm considering
Islander 28 or Crown 28.

So... any thoughts?
druid

Sure.............. search this board for "Skip Gundlach." He took a
year and surveyed 100s of vessels all over the US logging an
incredible amount of vessel data befor making his final decision. I
bet he has some good ideas about which boat is reqired for costal
crusing and what a skipper needs to know.

In article .com,
"Bob" wrote:

On Feb 9, 5:47 pm, druid wrote:

OK,
First it was a Catalina 27. Then, an Ericson 27. Now, I'm considering
Islander 28 or Crown 28.

So... any thoughts?
druid

Sure.............. search this board for "Skip Gundlach." He took a
year and surveyed 100s of vessels all over the US logging an
incredible amount of vessel data befor making his final decision. I
bet he has some good ideas about which boat is reqired for costal
crusing and what a skipper needs to know.

I was one of the first who talked with Skip -- before he actually
started his search. Though I've not met him except online, I consider
him a friend and am devastated by his recent setback.

Another source of a similar search, though his ultimate choice differed:
http://cruisenews.net/index.php He eventually chose a Tanzer, but his
search results remain as a beacon for other searchers.