Gordon Wedman

Default Question about installing Diesel Heater

Right now the wooden box is just sitting on the hull with 1 inch of medium
density foam separating the two. Could be that making the box was the wrong
way to go because it has just made the vibrating mass heavier. I'll have to
do some experimenting.

"Matt/Meribeth Pedersen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Gordon,
I think either Dickinson or Sigmar recommends mounting the
aux fuel pump on an isolator. Their version is an old radiator hose
screwed to a bulkhead, and the pump screwed to the hose (but
not into the bulkhead). Have you tried that or is the noise
something different?

Matt

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message
On my boat the previous owner installed an Espar and put a T connection

in
the fuel line going from the main tank to the Yanmar fuel pump. It has

been
like this for years and seems to work fine. The line from the T

connection
to the Espar pump runs downhill for a ways before going up to the pump

and
think this keeps a slug of fuel in the line at all times and prevents

entry
of air.

As I'm living on my boat I recently installed a Dickenson Newport so

that
can have 24 hour heating. Since I'm going to use a fair bit of fuel I
decided to connect it to the main tank as for the Espar. I put a second

in the line next to the Espar pump and ran a hose to a Walbro pulse pump

and
then to the Newport. This is working fine although I've not tried

sailing
with it yet. The stove seems to burn diesel just fine although there is
soot on the glass door. I'll just need to seem how often it needs a
cleanout. There is no smoke coming out of the Charlie Noble.
As for the "noisy" pump, I built a wooden box for it and lined the box

with
some scrap engine compartment noise deadening foam. The stuff I used

has
about 1/4 inch of foam, 3/16 inch of plastic and then more foam. The

box
is
located next to the fuel tank, behind the bulkhead at the aft end of my
quarter berth. After all this I can still hear it go "tick" every 4 or

5
seconds. It is a bit annoying but I cannot hear it if the radio/stereo

is
on. I also cannot hear it while sleeping in the V berth. I'm thinking

of
extending the hoses/electrical connections and mounting it further aft

in
the boat however I may just get used to the noise. Often you cannot

hear
it
due to the many random noises on the boat.

Gord Wedman
C&C 37
Nanaimo, BC

"John" wrote in message

Hi,
As the other reply indicated, if your fuel tank is a foot or

more
above the carb, you are lucky and won't
require a fuel pump. I personally can not live with the noise of a
fuel pump so I went with a day tank. It seems like a lot of hassle

but
gravity works perfectly, no noise and provides the perfect pressure at
the carb
head. I have been using a 2 gal refillable day tank for over 20

years
with no problems.
To the guy who mentioned using JP-4 jet fuel, thanks for the tip.

I'll
have to give it a try. We can get stove
oil here in Victoria and a few other places but switching to diesel
sucks. Then I do get soot on my deck and
have to run the stove at a higher setting to keep the flame hot.
Good luck with your installation. cheers john

MLapla4120 wrote:

Hi,
I'm installing a Dickinson Newport heat on my boat. I have only one

line
coming out of my diesel fuel tank ( it's the fuel line for the

engine).
What I need to do is supply the heater with fuel. My concern is

that
if I install a Y-adaptor, some air may get into the fuel line. Then

I'll
have
a constant source of irritation from having to bleed the fuel line.

(possibly)
Is my only option installing another line? Drilling another hole

in
the tank
and making a fitting solely for the heater?
There's got to be a better way.
Also, to give you more info, the fitting in the tank is high up on

the
tank and
inside the tank, there is a tube that runs down to just below the

bottom
of the

tank.

Mark

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

It was Sigmar. page 8 in this manual for the isolation idea.
http://www.sigmarine.com/support/Manual.pdf
If your box mounted to the bulkhead without touching the
pump or hoses I bet you'd have nearly silent operation.

Right now the wooden box is just sitting on the hull with 1 inch of medium
density foam separating the two. Could be that making the box was the

wrong
way to go because it has just made the vibrating mass heavier. I'll have

do some experimenting.

"Matt/Meribeth Pedersen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Gordon,
I think either Dickinson or Sigmar recommends mounting the
aux fuel pump on an isolator. Their version is an old radiator hose
screwed to a bulkhead, and the pump screwed to the hose (but
not into the bulkhead). Have you tried that or is the noise
something different?

Diesel Quality Varies....(?) JR North General 9 March 2nd 04 02:31 AM
Compact diesel water/space heater ? Sven General 8 December 19th 03 10:23 PM
FS: Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater w/ heat exchanger johng650 General 0 October 14th 03 05:03 AM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM
HP question Joe Kovacs Boat Building 2 July 10th 03 02:59 PM