Default DIY refrigerator in sailboat

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:55:29 +0000, Jere Lull wrote:

Mac OS on top of UNIX makes the transition seamless.

pedantic
MacOS X _is_ a variant of BSD Unix; the offspring of Steve Jobs' NeXT
computer experiment circa 1990 where his company created first the
NeXTStep and then the OpenStep operating systems. Google the NeXT Cube.
These beautifully designed machines are the platforms upon which Tim
Berners-Lee created the "World Wide Web" at CERN.
/pedantic

as to nonsense about "needed" software, I know a thing or three about
computers and as a Unix/Linux sysadmin and user, I haven't needed _any_ MS
software for over 10 years now. Why other people aren't able to grasp this
reality is beyond me. It ain't hard. If I can do it... My wife has
used Mac exclusively for a year now and doesn't seem to be missing
anything either. But then she wanted a computer, not an XBox. You are
right. We will be spared.

"mr.b" wrote in news
as to nonsense about "needed" software, I know a thing or three about
computers and as a Unix/Linux sysadmin and user, I haven't needed
_any_ MS software for over 10 years now. Why other people aren't able
to grasp this

Which Unix usenet client are you using?

Larry
--
VIRUS ALERT! VISTA has been released!
NOONE will be spared!

In article ,
Larry wrote:

Jere Lull wrote in
news:jerelull-DE5725.19552809022007 @news.bellatlantic.net:

UNIX is much more stable.

That's very true, but what % of the software everyone wants to
run....runs under Windoze? Owning a MAC has always meant being
fleeced by Apple for proprietary software and left out of the
freeware/shareware legacy. It's like standing on the sidelines all
suited up to play football, but not allowed to play on the field.

Windoze has nothing to do with anything in my personal life, though I'm
well paid to maintain it at work.

Anything you want to run under Unix/Linex will run on a Mac. Just
recompile it for BCD. The tools to do so are freely available, "freely"
meaning zero cost.

I don't own a MicroS..t product. Most of what I run is open source UNIX.
And I'm an editor that has to make sense out of every incoming message,
no matter how proprietary the encoding.

Mac is very much NOT proprietary these days.

But there are a few Mac programs that you will have to pry from my cold
dead hands. They're inspired, or more properly, the programmers were.

=====

And if there were some Windoze program that I absolutely had to run, I
can load up any Windoze OS and run it alongside OS X at full speed.

You just won't see me running XP or Vista unless I absolutely positively
had to run it as I hate the drek that comes with running Windoze OSs.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

just to throw a spanner in the works
NORCOLD is ENGEL
The long tubular compressor that another poster mentioned is the
engel/norcold compressor.
the reason i know is a friend of mine is the dealer/repairer for these in WA
http://www.engeland.com.au/
he has often done conversions from the norcold to the engel.
Norcold is often 110v and Engel is often 240v
on freeze they will draw 5 amp
on refridge i think is is 2 amp.
on the newer models the older models draw more power 7 and 3 i think
i helped another friend install one into my old boat(i sold the boat to
him and now he is a friend him)
he built the suround in foam and glass with a small division so that it
had 2 chambers one is fridge the other freezer
works fine and all he has is 2 300 cca car batterys with 2 solar panels.
he plugs it into mains to draw it down then as soon a he leaves it auto
switches to 12v.
so far it has worked very well for up to 2weeks constant with out out
side power.
Shaun