Default Fwd: Subject: [TheDingyDock] Skip and Lydia Gundlach need help

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 10:03:10 -0500, Larry wrote:

Put in Marathon, FL and take a
look at it. What a TERRIBLE place to go sailing! This area would be
awful in a flats boat! Running aground with a 6' keel is inevitable, not
just a chance. Google Earth is free from http://earth.google.com/ Look
at the bottom where YOU sail.

It's not quite that bad. We've run both north and south from Marathon
never seeing less than 7 feet or so. You do have to be careful
however and stay very close to your route. Sailing it would not be
advisable except in ideal conditions.

If there is one single lesson to be learned from this, I think it is
to be *very* wary of becoming fatigued, particularly in bad conditions
and close quarters. I've had some personal experience with this and
it is all to easy to find yourself making questionable decisions after
you've been on the go for a day or two. I don't want to sound like
I'm second guessing, but there are any number of good places to seek
shelter from an easterly coming south along Florida's west coast.

There was a case in the northeast a number of years ago where a woman
was sailing transatlantic from England to Newport, Rhode Island.
After several days of fog and rough weather she made a navigational
error, mistaking Pt Judith Light for Brenton Tower. After
successfully sailing over 3,000 miles, she parked the boat on the
rocks at Pt Judith.

Just a very quickie for perspective:

We left Sunday morning ~11, wing and wing to the Sunshine Skyway at 7
knots. Forecasts for the entire week we left (I'd been monitoring
them for a month) were for 10-15NE the entire way down - perfect for
our cruise down. It was so perfect we kept going rather than divert
from offshore. We stood to make it in under 30 hours, before dark the
second day. Rarely dropped under 6, mostly in the 8s, and even
flirted with 10 KSOG briefly.

Things went to hell in a handbasket in a hurry. Winds built to 20+,
then got worse, with matching seas. Dropped all sails and attempted
to motor toward Cape Sable. Absolutely awful. No progress whatever in
~4 hours.

Raised to third reef main only, stabilized and sailing fine, if wobbly
due to the following seas. Wanted to sail around to nowhere until
dark got finished (the foregoing was at ~7PM), considered going around
Key West.

Delivery captain in yard we left had given us detailed instructions,
having done it over 200 times. This group and the dozen or so lists I
am on, during my extensive search for info last year (because I was
concerned about the feasibility) had countless respondents saying we'd
be just fine and to quit worrying, generally accusing us of over-
researching everything we ever did on this boat, and accept what we
were told, which was it was very doable, no problem, etc.. I've now
come to regard local knowledge as suspect, if not malicious, as, this
and too many instances have proven to be not only inaccurate but
dangerously so.

Conditions worsened dramatically - a squall line came through about
10PM - and is what did us in, in addition to some operator and
equipment malfunction.

As is my wont, when the salt spray has been washed off (no dust to
settle) there will be a complete and candid assessment and report,
including hundreds of pictures on our gallery. For now, the insurance
company isn't ready to total it, but likewise nearly certainly won't
pay for all the repairs, and if my understanding of the policy is
accurate, will leave about a 25k shortfall on the removal (salvor's
fee was 30, policy looks to cover ~7, and then there was the emergency
midnight haulout at the yard, yada yada). Flying Pig most likely will
fly again,but now has a broken wing and a broken heart - but as yet
her spirit isn't broken!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, and hindsight is always 20-20. We're alive,
the boat is substantially intact, and there's nothing money can't fix.

On which subject, for those so inclined rather than finger-pointing,
an attorney in the Morgan sailnet list has set up a trust for us:

I've posted some traffic about that immediately following this post.
Think and do what you will in those regards - it's out of our hands,
but we know we are very well watched and watched over...

Sorry I can't do more right now - I"m pretty well over my head at the
moment...

L8R

Skip, interrupted

As referenced in the immediately prior post ...

From: Rich Shapiro
Date: Feb 8, 2007 9:01 AM
Subject: [morgan] [morganowners] Donations for Skip and Lydia
To: morgan

That all sounds wonderful. I'm hoping that as Skip and Lydia's
situation
clarifies and settles, it will continue to develop in a positive
direction.

Rich

Skip and Lydia,

Thanks for your report. I can't imagine anyone not taking off under the
conditions you reported -- an apparently perfect weather window? Who
wouldn't jump at the chance? I'm sorry things went south on you, but am very
glad that you are both alive and well, and unless I miss my guess, with
spirits slightly damp, but far from broken.

I hope that the insurance company comes through, and urge you to fight for a
favorable outcome, however that is best defined. Flying Pig back on the wing
with a happy crew would make me a very happy camper. :-)

Karin

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Skip,

So sorry to hear about your misfortune. We're
very glad that you and Lydia are ok. Things will
look better a few days from now.

Don W.

Skip Gundlach wrote:

Just a very quickie for perspective:

We left Sunday morning ~11, wing and wing to the Sunshine Skyway at 7
knots. Forecasts for the entire week we left (I'd been monitoring
them for a month) were for 10-15NE the entire way down - perfect for
our cruise down. It was so perfect we kept going rather than divert
from offshore.

krj krj is offline

Skip Gundlach wrote:
[...]

Don't know where you got your weather Skip, but the GRIB file I got from
sailnet.docs on 02/03 show that at by 7 pm 02/05 the wind was forecast
to be NE at 25 and seas of 7-8 feet. On a two day passage I always look
for four days of good weather.
krj

"Skip Gundlach" wrote:

Just a very quickie for perspective:

Most of the time when we get in trouble it is because of Bob wanting
to go and persuading me against my better judgment. We've been lucky
in that each time we've made it through. We lost a solar panel and
almost lost the dinghy and motor once. And we got water into the aft
cabin on one occasion (over the side). And on one occasion early on,
I was at the wheel and came into the wind and insisted that he furl
the sails. But as I said, we've been lucky.

The main result of my caution is to have Bob periodically accuse me of
being chicken. And I guess I am, but that's OK.