Default If I get "bus sick" will I get seasick?

I bought a 24' cabin in late fall '06 and never used it - had it winterized
for spring '07. Took a bus trip from Connecticut to the NYC boat show, with
a boating club group. I felt very weezy and almost had nausia from the bus
motions. I've never been in a small boat in waves, but wonder is bus motion
sickness similar to seasickness? In vehicles, I'm used to being the driver,
not passenger.

" wrote in message
t...
I bought a 24' cabin in late fall '06 and never used it - had it winterized
for spring '07. Took a bus trip from Connecticut to the NYC boat show, with
a boating club group. I felt very weezy and almost had nausia from the bus
motions. I've never been in a small boat in waves, but wonder is bus motion
sickness similar to seasickness? In vehicles, I'm used to being the driver,
not passenger.

Pretty good chance, yes. See your GP about the "TransDerm Scop" scopolamine
patch. I find that strong ginger drinks like Reed's Ginger Ale help, too.

" wrote in message
t...
I bought a 24' cabin in late fall '06 and never used it - had it winterized
for spring '07. Took a bus trip from Connecticut to the NYC boat show, with
a boating club group. I felt very weezy and almost had nausia from the bus
motions. I've never been in a small boat in waves, but wonder is bus motion
sickness similar to seasickness? In vehicles, I'm used to being the driver,
not passenger.

I'd say you'd be more likely.
I've taken day long bus trips and 5 day train trips and end up feeling a
bit off.
On a boat under the right conditions I can be woosy within an hour and
upchucking by the time another hour passes.
If I'm at the helm I can usually fight it off.

In article ,
" wrote:

I bought a 24' cabin in late fall '06 and never used it - had it winterized
for spring '07. Took a bus trip from Connecticut to the NYC boat show, with
a boating club group. I felt very weezy and almost had nausia from the bus
motions. I've never been in a small boat in waves, but wonder is bus motion
sickness similar to seasickness? In vehicles, I'm used to being the driver,
not passenger.

Might happen, but as another said, the helmsman is usually somewhat
protected. Additionally, experience usually adds some protection, as the
"unpredicted" motions can become usual and expected.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

Jere Lull wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

I bought a 24' cabin in late fall '06 and never used it - had it winterized
for spring '07. Took a bus trip from Connecticut to the NYC boat show, with
a boating club group. I felt very weezy and almost had nausia from the bus
motions. I've never been in a small boat in waves, but wonder is bus motion
sickness similar to seasickness? In vehicles, I'm used to being the driver,
not passenger.

Might happen, but as another said, the helmsman is usually somewhat
protected. Additionally, experience usually adds some protection, as the
"unpredicted" motions can become usual and expected.

If you're at sea for a week or two straight most people will adjust and
not get sick anymore, right?

Whereas, in my youth when I used to do lots of ocean sailing, I had lots
of experience, but it was all day sailing or weekend sailing so by the
time I got back on the ocean after a few weeks on land, I'd get sick all
over again even with all the prior experience.

Stephen

On Feb 3, 3:51 pm, "
wrote:
I bought a 24' cabin in late fall '06 and never used it - had it winterized
for spring '07. Took a bus trip from Connecticut to the NYC boat show, with
a boating club group. I felt very weezy and almost had nausia from the bus
motions. I've never been in a small boat in waves, but wonder is bus motion
sickness similar to seasickness? In vehicles, I'm used to being the driver,
not passenger.

John,...
I am a serious believer in the SeaBand bracelets. I find that it will
do a credable job without the unpleasant side affects of other
remedies. We had a couple on my boat for the day...she could get
nauseous just looking at a bus, let alone a boat. We were out for the
entire day which she enjoyed totally. At the end of the day, she told
me she had never been on a boat even for a short period of time
without getting sick.

These bracelets can be bought at most drug stores...look where they
sell dramamine, etc.

The big advantage to using these a 1. No prescription needed. (as
opposed to Scopomine patches) plus there is no unpleasant metallic
taste like the patches produce. 2. They usually cost about $9. but
can be used over and over again. 3. You do not have to "take" them in
advance. If it's going to be a bumpy day or you suspect someone is
susceptible, just let them slip the bracelets on when they come
aboard. 4. They don't make you sleepy like dramamine and some of the
other drug-type remedies.

Anyway, try a pair and see what they do for you.

Tom
MV "WINGS"

John,

Do you get carsick? If not, you are probably not prone to motion
sickness. I got sick on a bus trip once (only about a 45 minute trip). I
came to realize that it was due to a combination of factors. Firstly, I was
slightly dehydrated. This is a Big contributor to motion sickness.
Secondly, I sat near the rear of the bus and it is the rear of the bus that
moves the most, due to the solid rear axle.
I believe, also, that a contributing factor is the fact that it is quite
possible to feel claustrophobic on a bus, due to sitting in a long, narrow
box with typically one entrance/exit at the extreme end of the box.
Compounding that is the fact that you are not at the wheel.
Chances are very good that at the helm of your own boat out on the open
water you'll be okay. Especially once you get used to it.
You may want to acclimatize yourself to waterborne travel by kayaking
for a while.

Good luck,
Bill Longyard

" wrote in message
t...
I bought a 24' cabin in late fall '06 and never used it - had it winterized
for spring '07. Took a bus trip from Connecticut to the NYC boat show, with
a boating club group. I felt very weezy and almost had nausia from the bus
motions. I've never been in a small boat in waves, but wonder is bus motion
sickness similar to seasickness? In vehicles, I'm used to being the driver,
not passenger.

Regardless of what medications you plan to use, try them long before you set
foot on a boat. Each seems to have a different side effect on different
folks. As an example, many people claim that Stugeron has liitle effect.
One of my clients used Stugeron and it knocked her right out; she slept most
of the time.

Jack

Jack Dale
ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor
CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor
Director, Swiftsure Sailing Academy
http://www.swiftsuresailing.com

"Jack Dale" wrote in message

" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Yes, and TransDermScope (scopolamine) also has nasty side effects including
dry mouth, burning sensation in mouth and dizziness. Personal experience.

Regarding riding on the bus, one test would be to try reading a book while
sitting in a car someone is driving. Winding roads are best. If you don't
feel bad you may be OK.