Default If I get "bus sick" will I get seasick?

Gordon Wedman wrote:

Yes, and TransDermScope (scopolamine) also has nasty side effects including
dry mouth, burning sensation in mouth and dizziness. Personal experience.

Dunno if it's true, we got some but never used it, but our family Dr.
said to be careful of getting the drug (scopolamine?) into your eye. He
wrote a Rx for us for something that we had filled at a pharmacy. As to
the side effects, he said it would cause the pupil to dilate and it
would take several days for the effects to wear off.

John,

As to your question, I think you will hear a lot of anecdotal evidence,
but the factors contributing to seasickness have many components. Some
of the best ways to avoid it are being well rested, eating lightly but
sufficiently, staying hydrated, avoiding greasy or spicy foods,
refraining from alcohol (or any other recreational drugs), avoiding
noxious vapors such as engine exhaust, not smoking, staying warm and
dry, getting plenty of fresh air and staying above decks. Having a
clear view of the horizon, and a stint at the helm is also prudent.
Another significant factor (some claim the most important) is your frame
of mind - people can worry or scare themselves seasick.

For me, I'm always a bit queasy the first few days out on a passage. I
find that if I can do all of the above, and get plenty of rest, I'm fine
after about the first 36 hours. The first twelve are the worst,
symptomatically, with things improving quickly after that. I don't tend
to get sick when sailing around the bay or doing short trips, but I will
get sick if I read while in a moving vehicle, or on a bus that isn't
well ventilated.

My friends that do get seasick on even flat seas use the Scopalamine
transderm patches (need a prescription) with excellent success. I've
also used these when making rough ferry crossing in Mexico and thought
they worked well, but you want to start them about 8 to 12 hours
beforehand. In the past (when overseas) I've also used Sturgeron (which
can be bought over the counter everywhere but in the US), also with good
effect, but you may want to investigate this drug as there are some
(including the FDA) that would disagree with its use.

As to the particular type of motion that causes seasickness, there was
an excellent, somewhat technical, article in "Latitude 38" a few months
back about this, but I've been unable to find it online and have since
thrown out the issue. You might try going through some back issues, if
you find it please post the date of the article, I'd like to reread it.
The claim was that there are specific frequency and types of motion
that creates the greatest chance of getting ill, regardless of the vehicle.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Robb

wrote:
I bought a 24' cabin in late fall '06 and never used it - had it winterized
for spring '07. Took a bus trip from Connecticut to the NYC boat show, with
a boating club group. I felt very weezy and almost had nausia from the bus
motions. I've never been in a small boat in waves, but wonder is bus motion
sickness similar to seasickness? In vehicles, I'm used to being the driver,
not passenger.

If I'm at the helm I can usually fight it off.

Same deal here. When in the cabin underway I'm less than comfortable, not
quite seasick but there's definitely an onset of nausea. Not nearly as bad
but somewhat similar if I'm sitting in the aft cockpit not looking out at
the horizon. But I'm usually the one running the boat so it's never really
been an issue.