Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Gulf Stream Crossing to Georgetown

Well, we missed our window - the weather is currently about perfect to
cross right now, and had we been able to leave 3 days ago, the sail
down would have been lovely, too, but right now it's a real mess to
leave here, and worse when we get to Marathon, for the crossing - but
we're very close to leaving.

We have to be in Georgetown by March 1, and intend going over the
banks to get there as the most expeditious, presuming some significant
wait for another crossing window.

From St. Pete, we'd expected to go to Marathon, and cross there.

Various people have suggested crossing at Rodriguez Key, being a
lovely sheltered place to hang out for the window. It's also been
characterized as the thinnest place (least time in the stream) to
cross in that area. However, that's substantially north of Marathon,
a distance we'd have to make up on the other side.

All my searching has failed to find size images of the stream at
various points. I've found speed, but that's not useful to this
project.

So, for those who have done it (gone direct from the west coast of FL
to Georgetown), where did you cross?

Second question: where do I find charts or indications of the stream
width in southern Florida?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
you
away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain