Default boat comparison feedback

I would appreciate your comments on the following as potential choices
for Caribbean cruising - Westsail 32 (slow), Tahitiana 32 (slow),
Dickerson 37, Gulfstar 36/37 and CSY 37. I am looking for a boat
suitable for 2 to live aboard, Bahamas and Caribbean cruising area
(family members living in Curacao), solid construction, good all round
sailing capabilities, $40 - 60,000. We currently have 2 CSY 37s that
have never been chartered under consideration. What others should we be
considering? I have been land - bound for the past 13 years but have 15
years sailing experience on the Great Lakes and 13 years working on the
water (Great Lakes again) for the Canadian Hydrographic Service.

"terry668566" wrote in message
g.com...
I would appreciate your comments on the following as potential choices for
Caribbean cruising - Westsail 32 (slow), Tahitiana 32 (slow), Dickerson 37,
Gulfstar 36/37 and CSY 37. I am looking for a boat suitable for 2 to live
aboard, Bahamas and Caribbean cruising area (family members living in
Curacao), solid construction, good all round sailing capabilities, $40 -
60,000. We currently have 2 CSY 37s that have never been chartered under
consideration. What others should we be considering? I have been land -
bound for the past 13 years but have 15 years sailing experience on the
Great Lakes and 13 years working on the water (Great Lakes again) for the
Canadian Hydrographic Service.

All other things being equal (mechanical, rigging, sails, cosmetics, etc), I
would choose the Dickerson. I would rather have a boat that has no
electronics on it and fit it with all new than to have old instruments that
must be replaced. I would consider tankage (both capacity and construction
materials), stowage, plumbing, mechanical condition of engine etc. Personal
preference, I would choose a ketch rig over sloop or cutter (or
"slutter") -- primarily to gain the advantage of the mizzen staysail. I
would also avoid rigs that require running backstays, for safety and
simplicity's sake. An accidental gybe with running backs can ruin your whole
day. Along the same lines, I would avoid a club jib with its "foredeck
depopulator." Other people will have different opinions, YMMV.

Bob Bob is offline

Uhh, didn't we just have this conversation a few weeks ago????

How about a Cascade or a Rawson 30. I think ya gan get one of those
for under $15,000. Then go hog wild buying toys n gagets as KLC
advised. I say better your idea of "good" than soemone elses idea of
good.

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Uhh, didn't we just have this conversation a few weeks ago????

How about a Cascade or a Rawson 30. I think ya gan get one of those
for under $15,000. Then go hog wild buying toys n gagets as KLC
advised. I say better your idea of "good" than soemone elses idea of
good.

I imagine that a couple could live aboard a Rawson 30, but it would have to
be one of those rare couples who can live elbow-to-elbow for weeks on end
without getting on each other's nerves. I dearly love my Rawson 30, but I
can't imagein me living aboard her with another person. Maybe a cat.

Karin

Not to try and add to your confusion but this boat served us well
cruising for 15 years and is easily handled by two. It's turn key and
ready to go anywhere. Have a look at

http://yachtbroker.escapeartist.com/...446/index.html

On Jan 30, 1:17 pm, terry668566 wrote:
I would appreciate your comments on the following as potential choices
for Caribbean cruising - Westsail 32 (slow), Tahitiana 32 (slow),
Dickerson 37, Gulfstar 36/37 and CSY 37. I am looking for a boat
suitable for 2 to live aboard, Bahamas and Caribbean cruising area
(family members living in Curacao), solid construction, good all round
sailing capabilities, $40 - 60,000. We currently have 2 CSY 37s that
have never been chartered under consideration. What others should we be
considering? I have been land - bound for the past 13 years but have 15
years sailing experience on the Great Lakes and 13 years working on the
water (Great Lakes again) for the Canadian Hydrographic Service.

"joseph" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not to try and add to your confusion but this boat served us well
cruising for 15 years and is easily handled by two. It's turn key and
ready to go anywhere. Have a look at

http://yachtbroker.escapeartist.com/...446/index.html

Now that is one beautiful boat! Thanks for posting. :-)

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"joseph" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not to try and add to your confusion but this boat served us well
cruising for 15 years and is easily handled by two. It's turn key and
ready to go anywhere. Have a look at

http://yachtbroker.escapeartist.com/...446/index.html

Now that is one beautiful boat! Thanks for posting. :-)

Nice boat,

Price is negotiable, what does it means.?
What percentage can you go under the asking price?

On Feb 1, 3:21 pm, wrote:
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

et...

She is loaded with equipment that is worth almost what the asking
price is but make me an offer. We won't give it away but are flexible.

oups.com...

http://yachtbroker.escapeartist.com/...boat/446/index....

joseph wrote:
[...]

thank for the link Joe . . . I was looking at it earlier this afternoon
.. . . truly a nice boat but I'm afraid it's still a little out of my
price range . . .

In article .com,
"joseph" wrote:

She is loaded with equipment that is worth almost what the asking
price is but make me an offer. We won't give it away but are flexible.

For some reason, this makes me feel a bit sad. I'm envisioning a cruiser
who has been forced to become land-bound. The pricing sentiment is
realistic, too realistic for one who followed a dream for some time.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/