Default boat comparison feedback

"terry668566" wrote in message
g.com...
I would appreciate your comments on the following as potential choices for
Caribbean cruising - Westsail 32 (slow), Tahitiana 32 (slow), Dickerson 37,
Gulfstar 36/37 and CSY 37. I am looking for a boat suitable for 2 to live
aboard, Bahamas and Caribbean cruising area (family members living in
Curacao), solid construction, good all round sailing capabilities, $40 -
60,000. We currently have 2 CSY 37s that have never been chartered under
consideration. What others should we be considering? I have been land -
bound for the past 13 years but have 15 years sailing experience on the
Great Lakes and 13 years working on the water (Great Lakes again) for the
Canadian Hydrographic Service.

There is usually plenty of wind in the Caribbean so I think you could expect
decent performance even from the "slow" boats. For island hoping I don't
think 1 knot of extra hull speed is going to make all that much difference.
Is there enough room on the 32 footers though? As for the 37 footers, I
think Gulfstars are not noted for good sailing performance so that leaves
the Dickerson or CSY. Again, how much living space does each have? Water
tankage is important to consider.
For 60K you might get an older Tayana 37 which I think is a better boat than
any of these.

"Gordon Wedman" wrote:

"terry668566" wrote in message
ng.com...
[...]

CSYs have as much living space as anything, and also tankage (120
gallons of water). They were made for Caribbean charter. Practical
Sailor has a good article on the CSY 37. You can obtain it
from their web site. The question is whether you can get one for that
price.

In November, there were 4 listed in Yacht World
4 listed in Yacht World

A dark green 37 with a white stripe (name unknown) is in Spain for
$81K (listed twice and pictured once as a generic 37 with a maroon
stripe)
- SCALLYWAG for $54.9K in Stuart FL (I've seen this one)
- WIND RIFT TOO (plan A) is in the Virgin Islands for $45K
Still listed is a 1980 37 sloop listed in New Orleans for $69,900

I do not know about whether Maagnificent (which was in New Orleans and
this boat's name appears to start with an M) is this boat or is still
for sale, and I don't see Perseverance or Pilgrim listed any
longer.

FIL DE BAST (a CSY 33) was in Boat Trader in June for $42.5K in
Marathon, and SHADOWFAX (another 33) has also been put up for sale in
September but I don't know if she is with a broker. For further
information