Default Outboard motors

Hi,
First I'd like to thank the list for their input on the C.A.R.D radar
detectors and my other requests for info.

I need to buy a new inflatable, preferably hyperlon and an outboard
motor to go with it. Our last one, a PVC one died after 10 years of
good service.

I have settled, though not finally, on an Archilles 9'6" one with an
inflatable floor and keel. The dealer here in Sydney has a package
which includes a Tohatsu 5HP 2 stroke outboard. It costs about US$570
to ship it to the airport at Port of Spain, Trinidad. Currently my
nesting hard dinghy has a 3.3 Mercury 2 stroke (in reality a Tohatsu)
which has given 7 years of great service.

I have browsed such as Defender and find that the inflatable itself is
cheaper than in Australia but that nobody seems to offer 2 stroke
motors in the USA. I have been told that the 5HP Tohatsu 2 stroke
outputs 6.2 horsepower and is cheaper to buy whereas the 4 stroke
outputs only 5HP and requires more maintenance.

Does anyone know if 2 stroke outboards are available in the USA or in
the Caribbean?

I seem to recall someone mentioning that somewhere in the Caribbean
there is a country where inflatables can be bought cheaper than
elsewhere. Any clues anyone?

Any advice gratefully received
Peter

Peter Hendra wrote:
[...]

2 strokes are alive and well in the Caribbean and are often cheaper
than the US. Yamaha is the brand of choice from my observation. Easy
to get parts for them. smaller 2 strokes are now effectively banned
in the US, though 2006 models are still available.

AB is the BIG inflatable maker in Venezula. Shipping an inflatable to
Trini when Venezuela is so close is like shipping coals to Newcastle.
I think buying AB in Venezuela is cheaper than Trini.

Budget Marine in Trini is a huge dealer. Good deals to be had through
them. http://www.budgetmarine.com/Catalogue_2007/266.html
$925 - 975 for the Tohatsu 5 HP 2 stroke.

You should also ask on the SSCA cruising board. Lots of Caribbean
sailors there.

Evan Gatehouse

Evan Gatehouse2 wrote in news:45addb44$1
:

Peter Hendra wrote:
[...]

I'll just echo what Evan said. Last year I needed to replace a dinghy
while in Honduras and I was almost tempted to have one shipped in from
Trinidad due to the much lower cost. Due to shipping issues I had it
shipped from Miami. I can't see any reason to have one shipped from
Sydney.

Having spent half a year for the past 6 years in the Caribbean I would
suggest that you look at getting a Yamaha. You can find parts for
Yamahas everywhere, but its much harder to find parts for other
manufactures. I had a Nissan and it was VERY hard to find repair parts
for it. I switched to a 15 HP Yamaha. I got a 2 stroke, but would have
prefered a 4 stroke due to the much better gas consumption.

-- Geoff