Default Tecma Easyfit head

Hi - a question for Peggy (or anyone else who's ever done something
like the following)

I'm looking seriously at replacing my old electric Lavac with the new
Tecma Easyfit. The specs (and measurements) look great. Does this seem
reasonable?

The "solenoid" version of the Tecma assumes that you would be using
fresh water flush. What I'd really like to do is plumb it for either
fresh or salt water flush. That way I could use salt at sea when fresh
water is scarce.

I currently have pressure systems for both water types. Is there any
reason I couldn't put a y-valve in the head intake line? The only thing
I can think of is a risk of salt water backflow into the fresh water
tank if the y-valve failed or leaked. Is this something to worry about?
I assume the head doesn't care as long as it gets pressure water.

Thanks

Carl

Carl wrote:
Hi - a question for Peggy (or anyone else who's ever done something
like the following)

I'm looking seriously at replacing my old electric Lavac with the new
Tecma Easyfit. The specs (and measurements) look great. Does this seem
reasonable?

The "solenoid" version of the Tecma assumes that you would be using
fresh water flush. What I'd really like to do is plumb it for either
fresh or salt water flush. That way I could use salt at sea when fresh
water is scarce.

I'm guessing that your salt water pressure system is a washdown pump
that shares the same thru-hull as your existing head intake. I think
what you want to do can be done, but I'm not sure that just a y-valve is
enough to protect your potable water supply. I do know who can tell you
how to do it, though: Dick Brunson at Yacht Products International, Inc.
They're in Seattle, and the largest Tecma dealer in the US. His prices
are pretty good too. Give him a call: 866-922-4882
--
Peggie
----------

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 06:05:22 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Carl wrote:
Hi - a question for Peggy (or anyone else who's ever done something
like the following)

I'm looking seriously at replacing my old electric Lavac with the new
Tecma Easyfit. The specs (and measurements) look great. Does this seem
reasonable?

The "solenoid" version of the Tecma assumes that you would be using
fresh water flush. What I'd really like to do is plumb it for either
fresh or salt water flush. That way I could use salt at sea when fresh
water is scarce.

I'm guessing that your salt water pressure system is a washdown pump
that shares the same thru-hull as your existing head intake. I think
what you want to do can be done, but I'm not sure that just a y-valve is
enough to protect your potable water supply.

This may help re using a Y-Valve. I rigged 'Final Step' with the same
type of pump for potable and salt water. I bought a "marine" Y-Valve
(I think around $90) with the intention of using it to select either
hot water or salt water. Didn't work. Salt and hot mixed. Turn off
salt pump and hot backed up / turn off fresh pump and salt backed up.
Leave them both on and got hot salt water mix. Found out the Y-Valve
wasn't made to operate under pressure!!! Say whaaat???

Went to a local oil field supply and asked about 1/2" Y-Valve. Found
out they call them 3-port valves. No 1/2" in stock, but had 3/4". I
asked the price. The guy looked in the book and said, "Whew! That's an
expensive one!". Oh-oh. "How much?", I asked. $12.85. For a
brass/stainless steel ball type. Put it in and spent 2-1/2 years
living aboard and cruising. Had hot water in the galley and head in
marinas and salt when not, and never did the twain mix.

I guess the equivalent of an oil field supply would be about any
industrial supply. Maybe a commercial boat place for pure boat stuff.
I saved a young fortune getting stuff from there. A lot of it the same
as from a marine store. Such as that $8 a foot waste hose for 85-cents
a foot (yes, same brand, same stuff). 1/2-inch potable water hose for
10-cents a foot. 1/2-inch ball valves for $2.95, 1-1/2-inch ones for
$8.65. Boxes of 100 stainless fasteners for about the same price as 4
from a marine store. Etc., etc., etc......

Rick

Thanks Rick. The cheap little valve in my home toilet will work for 30
years but on a boat "Y-valves don't work under pressure"....you really
can't make this stuff up!.

I'll look for a good valve. If that fails I guess I can just put in two
regular valves on a "T" - this would have the advantage of turning off
all water to the head (assuming I can remember which way to set them).

Carl

IMHO, the only marine Y valve worth buying is the Whale, but it still
might not work for what you want to do. For industrial valves, check
out http://www.mcmaster.com/