Glenn Ashmore

Default Ginger Island BVI?

Has anyone stopped at Ginger Island? Especially tried to get into the
bay on the East side?

You probably will not believe this but my cousin, a neurosergeon who
owns a house on Virgin Gorda, is thinking about buying the whole island
and doing what Branson did on Necker. I mentioned that there is no good
anchorage but he pointed out the bay on the East side. I have never
been around the back side so can't really say from first hand knowlege.
but I am afraid that being open to the Atlantic it will not be the best
place to put a marina.

Have any of you poked in there?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jere Lull

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Has anyone stopped at Ginger Island? Especially tried to get into the
bay on the East side?

You probably will not believe this but my cousin, a neurosergeon who
owns a house on Virgin Gorda, is thinking about buying the whole
island and doing what Branson did on Necker. I mentioned that there
is no good anchorage but he pointed out the bay on the East side. I
have never been around the back side so can't really say from first
hand knowlege. but I am afraid that being open to the Atlantic it will
not be the best place to put a marina.

Have any of you poked in there?

Have never stopped there. Looking in the VI Cruising guide (8th edition
-- '97-98), the one line description (P 137) is "The island of Ginger
has no tenable anchorages." Under diving, they tell of 15-20' high
mushroom coral and graduated shelves ending at 70-90' in a huge sand
patch....

As I look at the chartlettes, the eastern bays (marked "The Sound" and
"Wedged Bay") show shallow with coral, with nearly 400' hills close by
on either side. Boats and shore equipment would be open to prevailing
winds & waves. None of the islands on that side of Sir Francis Drake
Lake have facilities on that side.

Looks like the better place is in South Bay on the western side.

--
Jere Lull

Dave Skolnick

Jere Lull wrote:
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Has anyone stopped at Ginger Island? Especially tried to get into the
bay on the East side?

snip

Have any of you poked in there?

Have never stopped there. Looking in the VI Cruising guide (8th edition
-- '97-98), the one line description (P 137) is "The island of Ginger
has no tenable anchorages."

snip

The only difference in the 11th edition (2003-4) is the page number (158).

I have sailed by and around Ginger a few times, most recently in June. I
agree that South Bay appears to be better protected in most conditions.
My chart shows the water is pretty deep, so mooring balls would be
required if your cousin wants yacht trade. On the other hand if he just
put docks in it would be straightforward to maintain a very private
reserve, avoiding the conflicts between yachties and resort operators at
Necker and Guana.

I think Green Cay is for sale, and strikes me as more amenable to
careful development than Ginger.

dave

--
-----
news_bucket e-mail address goes to a blackhole. Sorry. Send e-mail to

Jere Lull

Dave Skolnick wrote:

I think Green Cay is for sale, and strikes me as more amenable to
careful development than Ginger.

It would be easier to develop as a yachtie place, but not as easily
isolated as Necker or even Guana & Camanoe: It's been a destination for
too long. The last I heard (a few months ago) someone (Foxy or his
daughter?) was trying to get Green bought up as a national park. I
believe I saw it on TravelTalkOnline.com's BVI forum, but haven't
checked in there since sailing season started.

--
Jere Lull

Don White

Wow...what's his name.
An old friend of mine was working at a local shipyard in the BVI and fell
off a ladder, hitting his head.
He is bleeding around an optical nerve and couldn't be treated in the BVI,
so he's gone to San Juan, Puerto Rico in hope of receiving laser treatment.
If that doesn't work, he may have to come back to Canada.

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message
Has anyone stopped at Ginger Island? Especially tried to get into the
bay on the East side?

You probably will not believe this but my cousin, a neurosergeon who
owns a house on Virgin Gorda, is thinking about buying the whole island

snip
--
Glenn Ashmore

Glenn Ashmore

I don't think I should say his name here but he has a house on North
Sound Road about half way up Gorda Peak. He must be a great sergeon
'cause he sure makes big money but he works his butt off and is rarely
down there. Strange dude. Owns a million dollar house on Virgin Gorda
that he visits maybe twice a year, doesn't sail, hates to swim and
breaks out in a rash if he gets to much sun. But he loves the BVI.

Don White wrote:

Wow...what's his name.
An old friend of mine was working at a local shipyard in the BVI and fell
off a ladder, hitting his head.
He is bleeding around an optical nerve and couldn't be treated in the BVI,
so he's gone to San Juan, Puerto Rico in hope of receiving laser treatment.
If that doesn't work, he may have to come back to Canada.

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message

Has anyone stopped at Ginger Island? Especially tried to get into the
bay on the East side?

You probably will not believe this but my cousin, a neurosergeon who
owns a house on Virgin Gorda, is thinking about buying the whole island

snip

--
Glenn Ashmore

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jere Lull

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Strange dude. Owns a million dollar house on Virgin Gorda that he
visits maybe twice a year, doesn't sail, hates to swim and breaks out
in a rash if he gets to much sun. But he loves the BVI.

It's the people! (and getting away from it all.)

--
Jere Lull

SAIL LOCO

I mentioned that there is no good
anchorage but he pointed out the bay on the East side.

If your cousin does another "Necker" island he won't need a bay. The rich and
famous arrive by helicopter.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
SAIL LOCO

I wish I could have bought Saba Rock and did what the current owner did.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport