Default Heavy Weather Sailing

Roger ,, I am curious. What is your sail inventory? I am trying to
remember ??? I can't get it .. what is the model/make of your boat? I
remember the name Strider ??

I am asking as I am looking at my inventory and thinking I might be wanting.

Right now: mainsail ( old, probably original ), roller furling jib sail
( in great shape .. looks new . . ) and last weekend I bought a light air
cruising spinnaker. The c spinnaker was from an O'Day 32. I only paid $300
for it so I kinda thought this was a deal .. I hope.

I also have a storm jib, looks like it was never used.

Looking at the posting about heavy weather made me think of sails. I
Bristol sailor who helped me with some questions just finished crossing the
Atlantic from Ireland to Martinque. 3,000 miles, single handed. The Cape
Horn Vane steered the whole way.

He has a sail inventory that cost over $10,000!

I was thinking of adding a second forestay. I did this on my old Vanguard
years ago. With the second forestay I can do a wing and wing and also use
the storm jib.

The big problem is where to attach the pad eye for the base of the stay. I
stay should be attached through deck and backed up with a bulkhead or
something.

===

Anyhow ... what is your sail inventory .. I am curious.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Has anyone here that sails deepwater not read "Heavy Weather Sailing" by
Adlard Coles?

If so, you should search the used book web sites and stores until you turn
up a copy.

--
Roger Long

I'm kind of short on sails for our E 32 but even shorter on space to put
them. The working jib takes up most of the hanging locker so nothing can
hang. The 130 roller Genoa probably won't fit in there so it isn't going to
be a six berth boat when I want to put the working jib on. After seeing how
well the boat goes with the smaller jib, I'm probably going to want to use
it a lot.

We have just the two jibs and the main. Two reefs in the main alone should
handle a good deal of wind and the working jib can be rolled in a pinch
although it doesn't have foam in the leading edge. I'm having leech
doublings put on it so I can leave it up and rolled in the sun more often.

The big Genoa is best as a downwind sail. I wish I'd gotten my hands on
that cruising spinnaker before you did. If I can get one, I might just
leave the Genoa home. One thing that's been keeping me from thinking about
downwind kites is the difficulty of setting them shorthanded in a quick
turning boat. I'm sending in a deposit on a Cape Horn steering gear
tomorrow so that's going to change the equasion a lot. If something goes
wrong getting a spinnaker up and down, my crew will be able to leave the
wheel and help me deal with it.

Let me know if you see another cruising spinnaker for a 32 foot boat under
$500.

--
Roger Long

Roger ,, A Cape Horn! A fellow Bristol owner has just completed an
Atlantic crossing ::

This is his boat .. and he has the Cape Horn. I got an email from John
just after he arrived in Martinique. He said the Cape Horn steered the boat
all the way. The following is his email message.

"Just got into Martinique from single-handing from the Canary Islands. The
Cape Horn did most of the steering for three thousand miles. I recommend
it."

===================
'Kestrel' is a 1976 32-foot Bristol sloop, continuously improved over 28
years by owners, always with serious blue water work in mind.

After a shakedown cruise from Chesapeake Bay to Bermuda and back in 2001,
Kestrel was prepared for more ambitious plans. In the late Spring of 2005,
she set sail for Ireland, which was the first leg of a 2 - year Atlantic
circle. Since that trans-Atlantic passage, Kestrel toured Scotland (the
lower Hebrides in June and July of 2006), then, after a brief return to
Ireland, sailed to Spain (La Coruna). She then hopped down the Atlantic
coast of Portugal, winding up in Lagos, where she left continental Europe to
jump out to the Atlantic Islands, beginning with Porto Santo in the Madeira
Group. In December, John single-handed Kestrel from the Canary Islands to
Martinique, where wife Kathy came aboard. Kestrel is currently (winter,
2006-07) cruising the Antilles.

Bristol 32 Specifications (1976)

a.. LWL - 22' 0"
b.. LOA - 32' 1"
c.. Beam 9' 5"
d.. Draft (keel) 4' 7.5"
e.. Ballast 3900#
f.. Displacement 10,800#
g.. Sail Area (sloop) 464 sq. ft.
h.. P=33.05' P2=38.5' B=13.48' J=12.58'
=================================

I'd say that an Atlantic crossing in a 32' boat shows how well the Cape Horn
works.

I am leaning toward the Voyager vane. It isn't as much vane as the Cape
Horn but I think it will work with my tiller a bit better. The Voyager is
only $2500. I think that is a little less than the Cape Horn..

Will need to wait on the vane self steering though. Lots of projects to do.

====================

I may be able to help you out on the cruising spinnaker front. Send me your
measurements. Luff, Leach, Foot.. etc.

I have been looking around all fall and winter for sails. I have a line on
a few.

I will go through my sail contacts this week and see what I have. There are
plenty for sale, finding them is the hard part.

Bacon Assoc, in MD has lots of cruising spinnakers but they are all in the
$700 ++ range. I spoke to the owner one day. He said that they take
something like a 40% commission on sails. So.. an $800 sail? That means
the owner of the sail is getting around $480.

I have been looking on Ebay. Not much yet. The spring is still a month
away for equipment sales.

Anyhow,, I will check my inbox. And if I see something I will send it
along.

===

"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

Please be sure and document your Cape Horn install. Others here are
interested!
Gordon

"Larry" wrote in message
"Gordon Wedman" wrote in news:WdOqh.157633$hn.38417
@edtnps82:

This shows a
price of $125.

Wow! What size boat comes in the box with the book?

Hey, if they can afford boat parts and Sospenders, they can afford to pay
$125 for a $10 book, right?

Larry

Yes, I thought it was rather pricey as well.
Funny thing though, the Amazon listing seems to show a price of $72 as well
so perhaps there is an error here.

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message

"Larry" wrote in message
"Gordon Wedman" wrote in news:WdOqh.157633$hn.38417
@edtnps82:

This shows a
price of $125.

Wow! What size boat comes in the box with the book?

Hey, if they can afford boat parts and Sospenders, they can afford to pay
$125 for a $10 book, right?

Larry

Yes, I thought it was rather pricey as well.
Funny thing though, the Amazon listing seems to show a price of $72 as
well so perhaps there is an error here.

Thought my version was newer, but it's the Fourth Edition, 1992. Bought it
at West Marine back in '94 (don't know why I was thinking it was newer, but
there ya go) for 39.95.

Karin
Escapade

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 1 April 19th 05 10:08 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 March 20th 05 05:32 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 10th 04 05:22 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 April 26th 04 10:46 AM