Phil

Default Dinghy registration

In North Carolina we have to register any dingy if it has ANY size motor on
it even if its used for a tender. That info came from the Division of Marine
Fisheries in Morehead City where I registered ours.
Phil

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Folks,

Up here in Canada (at least in Ontario) boats powered under 10hp are not
required to be registered. This is the case with my 10 foot RIB and 9.9
outboard motor, which I use as a tender when sailing my big boat. No
name on the dinghy, no registration numbers.

In a trip through the eastern USA to Florida, am I likely to encounter
problems with local police or coat guard because the dinghy is
unregistered, unlicensed, etc.?

Anyone experience problems with the local authorities?

Warning and tips appreciated.

Jimmy

L. M. Rappaport

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 04:35:00 GMT, Chuck Bollinger
wrote (with possible editing):

John I've got to reply to a few points, which I hope you'll accept in the spirit
offered.

....snip

Nice post, Chuck. I agree completely.

You didn't mention the Patriot Act. There, I have to agree with Jimmy
completely - it's hard to imagine taking away citizen's rights and
calling it patriotic. Frankly, I consider John Ashcroft to be the
most dangerous American since McCarthy.

Jimmy, just know that many of us firmly disagree with Ashcroft, the
Patriot Act, DMCA, UCITMA, and a host of other atrocities and we're
trying to change them through the electoral process.

That said, I should note that Canada has its share of idiots as well.
I live on the border and have seen and dealt with my share, including
filing charges against one particularly egregious border Nazi.

--

Larry

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
"Phil" wrote:

In North Carolina we have to register any dingy if it has ANY size motor on
it even if its used for a tender. That info came from the Division of Marine
Fisheries in Morehead City where I registered ours.

We register our dinghys too, but the fee is not great. We also
register the big boat with the state (Maryland in this case), but we
don't have to put the numbers on the bow because it is documented.
I'm not really sure what they do about foreign boats and their
dinghys. I'm pretty sure that most states allow passage through the
state of 30-90 days (depending on the state) without requiring that
one change ones' registration.

"Jimmy" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Up here in Canada (at least in Ontario) boats powered under 10hp are not
required to be registered. This is the case with my 10 foot RIB and 9.9
outboard motor, which I use as a tender when sailing my big boat. No
name on the dinghy, no registration numbers.

In a trip through the eastern USA to Florida, am I likely to encounter
problems with local police or coat guard because the dinghy is
unregistered, unlicensed, etc.?

Anyone experience problems with the local authorities?

We talked to a couple in the Bahamas who were from Canada. They made
the mistake of trucking their boat from Canada to Florida and putting
it into the water in Florida. They failed to get a cruising permit in
the US which didn't cause them any trouble until they went to the CG
in Key West and told them they were checking out to go to Cuba (wrong
answer). Since they hadn't ever checked in and since the CG is a bit
hyper about Cuba, they got into a lot of trouble.

Florida water cops are particularly stringent about the dinghys having
all the correct equipment in them. That means a life vest for each
person in the boat, appropriate lights after dark, a sound producing
device, distress signal, and we also carry a bailer and an anchor and
although it is not technically required a fire extinguisher when we
have an engine on the dink.

Warning and tips appreciated.

Jimmy

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
RichH

McCarthy....?????

ummmmmmm ..... McCarthy was completely VINDICATED during the Clinton
Administration by the Russian govt. disclosure of the "Venona Papers"
which flatly documented that McCarthy was wrong ONLY in the fact that
the Soviet penetration into the heart of the US govt. was 7 times larger
in numbers than even McCarthy was after. McCarthy's chief
source/witness, Whittaker Chambers, the center piece of the 'all the
hububb' was awarded the highest award given to non-military personnel.

Dont confuse McCarthy with the bipartisan House of Unamerican Activities
Committee (HUAC) - freaks from BOTH parties ... whose retired members
are now apparently posting political trolls on rec.boats.cruising, etc.

L. M. Rappaport

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 20:28:09 GMT, WaIIy
wrote (with possible editing):

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 14:19:14 GMT, L. M. Rappaport
wrote:

You didn't mention the Patriot Act.

Which you didn't read and have no real comprehension of.

Really? You can read my mind now, can you? Well, the bill is around
350 pages, and I'm not an attorney, but since you've stated that I
don't understand it, perhaps you can explain to my simple mind how
justice is served by:

1. FBI and CIA can now wiretap telephones and data lines
without court oversight? Further, the entire concept of "probable
cause" has been eliminated from FBI/CIA criteria, has it not?

2. ISP's now required to hand over client's information
including financial information, length of online sessions,
temporarily assigned IP addresses, et al. Sounds a lot like it was
written by George Orwell to me.

3. New broad definitions of terrorism which allow US foreign
intelligence agencies such as CIA/USIA/DIA to spy on citizens - these
were changes to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, one of the
15 laws changed by the Patriot Act. Somehow that's good, right?

etc.

I suppose I also have no comprehension of the Constitution, because
all that Federalist Papers stuff was just jingoist propaganda by a
bunch of n'er-do-well spies wanting to separate from England.

Well, the entire text is at
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/usa....al.102401.html
among other places, but, of course, I couldn't have read it...

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Keith

Thanks for the link. One of the first things that jumped out at me was
this...
____________________
"(3) The concept of individual responsibility for wrongdoing
is sacrosanct in American society, and applies equally to all
religious, racial, and ethnic groups."
__________
Oh give me a break... "individual responsibility" hahahaha! Now back to
reading the rest of it...

wrote:

[...]

LaBomba182

Subject: Dinghy registration
From: "Keith"

Hey, now don't go calling McCarthy bad things... he was a true patriot,
exposing known spies in Washington. Read Treason by Ann Coulter for the real
story.

Yes, he kept the US free and safe from communist screen writers.
And about all Ms. Coulter is good for is keeping the Young Republicans (both
man and female) in mastabitory fantasies.

Capt. Bill
Keith

Spoken like a true Democrat!

L. M. Rappaport

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 18:19:50 -0500, "Keith"
wrote (with possible editing):

Thanks for the link. One of the first things that jumped out at me was
this...
____________________
"(3) The concept of individual responsibility for wrongdoing
is sacrosanct in American society, and applies equally to all
religious, racial, and ethnic groups."
__________
Oh give me a break... "individual responsibility" hahahaha! Now back to
reading the rest of it...

Yes, individual responsibility - as in the "twinkie" defense. I'm
just waiting for jury approval of "the devil made me do it"!

Keep reading. There's a lot of material for one-liners in there!

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

.. .

Nesting Dinghy Parallax Boat Building 5 October 20th 11 08:56 PM
Help with PVC Dinghy repair. William F. Yehle II Boat Building 0 July 8th 04 03:10 PM
collapsible dinghy Parallax Boat Building 1 May 9th 04 05:24 PM
Dinghy registration in California Dick Locke Cruising 10 September 18th 03 07:38 PM
What's the best dinghy for cruising and why? Harvey Porter Cruising 15 August 22nd 03 01:37 AM