Default 8.1L Crusader Fuel Consumption

excellent articles...thanx!!!

xorbit wrote:
I'm considering the purchase of a 2001 Silverton 410 Sportbridge with twin
Gas 8.1L Crusaders (425HP) each

[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]

THANKS!!!

Suggested reading....

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasNdiesel.htm

It may be worth taking some time to read the details contained in these
articles.

"khessert via BoatKB.com" u30800@uwe wrote in news:6c2ee3d8ce90a@uwe:

I'm gonna need a 2nd job to put fuel in her.....

Shoulda got the Trawler.

Why do people buy a boat that are in so much of a hurry?! They race from
one marina to the other at 30 knots, burning a thousand gallons of fuel
at $3 a gallon, or more, for what, to get to the dock first?

The trawler, not an overpowered twin screw trawler, a real displacement
trawler, goes 8 knots (1/3 the speed of the guzzler) and burns 20 gallons
all day at displacement speed. It takes 3 times as long to get there, as
you relax cruising along watching the dolphins and waving at the passing
people. In the ICW, especially in Florida, it arrives at exactly the
same time because the whole damned place is lined with docks and boats
and is a no-wake zone the trawler guy doesn't have to worry about.

The slow-speed, naturally aspirated, marinized tractor engine in the
trawler will run for your lifetime with an occasional oil change and
water pump impeller. Noone mentioned in this thread overhauling high
performance fast boat engines run so hard. I don't think they'll make
10,000 hours like the Perkins or John Deere or old reliable slow beast
that's so simple anyone can fix it, even you.

RELAX! Wave at the Crackers sitting on their dock without waking their
old boat. That marina will still be there...even next week! We'll
anchor the trawler out in some nice creek and have steaks and ale for
dinner and watch the alligators, tonight. Don't be in such a hurry!

$155K can buy a helluva big, single screw used trawler.

Larry
--
Extremely intelligent life exists that is so smart they never called
Earth.

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:00:55 GMT, "khessert via BoatKB.com"
u30800@uwe wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with diesels being superior, but the gas boat is $155K
and the same boat with diesels is $240K its gonna take a long time to burn
$85K in fuel... I want the diesels, but it doesn't make sense in this
scenario....anybody agree???

It depends. If fuel range is important to you, diesels are the
answer. On the other hand, if you can fill up any time you want and
the cost is not an issue, your logic makes perfect sense.

khessert via BoatKB.com wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with diesels being superior, but the gas boat is $155K
and the same boat with diesels is $240K its gonna take a long time to burn
$85K in fuel... I want the diesels, but it doesn't make sense in this
scenario....anybody agree???

Capt John wrote:
But
he's definitely a sceptic

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
condos hardly need an engine that runs at all, just sitting there like most
do.

One point not looked into is the resale value of a diesel vs a gas
powered boat. The diesel is always going to have a better resale.

Some points that are hard to quantify are when you have diesel power,
the knowledge that it's much more reliable, your just not going to have
as many problems, if you maintain them and don't abuse them. The boat
will be much more enjoyable with diesels, you've got more power
available when, or if, you want it. You can take a boat load of friends
on board and it's not going to suddenly slow way down, or not get up on
plane. You won't like it when the same boat with diesels fly's on past
you. And it's going to be less painful when it comes time to fill the
fuel tanks.

It's hard to put a price on peace of mind. And I know the price
differance is a lot. But if you could have afforded the diesels, and
you didn't go for them, you'll find that you will regret not getting
them. You'll almost never find someone that has owned a diesel powered
boat (that could afford it) purchases a gas powered boat after that
unless the boat is much smaller.

John

Yes, you can buy a lot of fuel for $85K, but the resale on the boat
will probably get you back about half of that, depending on the engines
you get. And the boat will have greater speed and range. Your also not
going to have to look at repowering as often with the diesel. It really
depends on how you intend to use the boat. If your going short
distances, putting low hours on the engines, and speed isn't an issue,
gas engines are probably the way to go. But if you intend to run long
distances, put lots of hours on the engines, speed is important because
of distance needed to travel, and the added reliability is important
because help may not be close by, diesels are the way to go.

John

Speed and Fuel Consumption Curve [email protected] General 3 April 19th 06 03:52 AM
Fuel consumption on Johnson 85hp outboard Guy Shepherd General 12 January 30th 05 08:06 PM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 02:41 AM
Fuel consumption -- Is it simply too much for a normal folf with a normal income? Melandre General 5 August 13th 04 10:56 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Marketplace 0 February 19th 04 05:48 PM