Messing In Boats

Default Cruising Cuba

Has anyone in this group taken a boat there lately?

I'm trying to figure out what our Treasury Department and Customs is
doing about cruisers who return from there.

Capt. Jeff

Rosalie B.

Messing In Boats wrote:

Has anyone in this group taken a boat there lately?

I'm trying to figure out what our Treasury Department and Customs is
doing about cruisers who return from there.

There was an article on general treatment of folks in the Washington Post
about 6 months ago. IIRC they are getting tougher and not allowing the
kinds of travel that they used to allow.

Unless you are of Cuban descent of course in which case you can go a couple
times a year and spend a large amount of money with their blessing as
'humanitarian aid'.

grandma Rosalie
James Johnson

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:49:22 GMT, Rosalie B. wrote:

Messing In Boats wrote:

Has anyone in this group taken a boat there lately?

I'm trying to figure out what our Treasury Department and Customs is
doing about cruisers who return from there.

Those of non Cuban descent cannot spend any money there at all according to
current US law. If you go you will be considered guilty and will have to prove
that you didn't spend any money on marina fees, customs charges etc. The going
fine right now is $5,000 and the Bush administration is making the feds
vigorously enforce the law. My advice is not to try it in the current
environment.

JJ

There was an article on general treatment of folks in the Washington Post
about 6 months ago. IIRC they are getting tougher and not allowing the
kinds of travel that they used to allow.

Unless you are of Cuban descent of course in which case you can go a couple
times a year and spend a large amount of money with their blessing as
'humanitarian aid'.

grandma Rosalie

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply

Cruising Grounds Search Greg Boyles General 1 October 17th 03 12:41 PM
Cruising Cuba Jim Laverdiere Cruising 8 September 18th 03 12:36 PM
cruising in cuba Jim Laverdiere Cruising 2 September 10th 03 08:41 PM
Cruising the Bahamas LaBomba182 Cruising 8 September 5th 03 01:17 AM
AUS: Licences and/ or Quals for International Cruising Moores Family Cruising 9 August 6th 03 11:00 PM