Jim Laverdiere

Default Cruising Cuba

I have just heard a rumour, that the Cuban government is not allowing
cruisers to anchor in bays, but forcing them to enter Marinas. The reason I
was told was because there have been too many boat thefts by people trying
to leave the country. Has anyone heard wether this is true or not.
Regards Jim

Florida Keyz

NO problem, just go to miami, the USA's thrid world country!
Messing In Boats

No, but the US House just voted yes on a bill to allow travel to Cuba. I
have no word on a companion Senate bill, but brought it to the attention
of my senator, who usually votes exactly opposite of how I think he
should.

I'm currently trying to get permission from the Treasury Department for
a trip there in March of 2004. You can check out the rules on
http://travel.state.gov/cuba.html

I'm also very interested in getting advice from others who know more
about this than I.

Kelton Joyner

Actually the House bill does not allow remove the restrictions on the
travel to Cuba. What the bill did was to remove funding for the
ENFORCEMENT of the restrictions from the various agencies. So if they
don't have the money to catch you, then are you free to go to Cuba?
They could still have money for SELECTED enforcement.
krj

Messing In Boats wrote:
No, but the US House just voted yes on a bill to allow travel to Cuba. I
have no word on a companion Senate bill, but brought it to the attention
of my senator, who usually votes exactly opposite of how I think he
should.

I'm currently trying to get permission from the Treasury Department for
a trip there in March of 2004. You can check out the rules on
http://travel.state.gov/cuba.html

I'm also very interested in getting advice from others who know more
about this than I.

Messing In Booats

I have written a letter to a Cuban authorites to ask about this and
other issues. I'll post the results when/if I get them.

Armond Perretta

Messing In Booats wrote:

I have written a letter to a Cuban authorites to ask about this and
other issues. I'll post the results when/if I get them.

What is the "this" you are referring to? Quite often the entire contents of
a thread don't automatically appear on everyone's new reader.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Armond Perretta

Rich wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:
Messing In Booats wrote:

I have written a letter to a Cuban authorites to ask about this
and other issues. I'll post the results when/if I get them.

What is the "this" you are referring to? Quite often the entire
contents of a thread don't automatically appear on everyone's new
reader.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://kerrydeare.tripod.com

try this link it has a cruisers story of visiting Cuba

http://kerrydeare.tripod.com/cuba_96_2.htm

Great link. BTW, it's _my_ web site.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Messing In Booats

The post started off asking if Cuban authoriyies were banning anchoring
out to prevent Cubans from stealing boats and crossing to the US. I'm
thinking of going there in March of 2004 and want to know this, so I
wrote the Cuban representatives in Washington.