Alex Moore

Default Polar 23' CC..Any Thoughts?

Hi All: I live in Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm) & I'm
looking @ a Polar 23' CC. This is a great looking boat for the coin.
It's loaded to the gills. Fit & finish also look to be top-notch.
Suzuki 250HP four-stroke engine, gunnels are way up high, salt water &
fresh water washdown, recessed cleats, stainless flush mounted hinges,
2 lighted recirculating baitwells (one is 48 gallons!), dual battrey
swicthes, a roomy bathroom w/ flushing porta-pottie & the list goes
on.

The whole package costs $34,400.00 with all the options I could pill
on. There's nothing out there that costs less then $50,000 for a 23' I
do like the new Sea Pro 23'8" But that runs about $45,000.00 & change.
I have a 19'2" Robalo now & it's nice but it was made by US Marine &
things are really starting to give me trouble. I want to dump it ASAP.

I think for the money it's a great boat. Only a 5 year hull warranty
but Suzuki is giving a 6 year warranty (vs. their standard 3 year) on
engines 200HP & up right now. The dealership is only 4 miles away from
my house which is always a plus. I guess their made by a company
called Godfrey Marine in the midwest but the boats are made in
Alabama. I've seen a few around the area but haven't spoke to the
owners. Does anyone have any insight about Polar boats in general? Are
they considered a decent boat? I don't have the money for a Mako,
Grady-White, Whaler or even a Robalo. 50K plus is just out of my
league.

Regards,

Alex
Fred Miller

Go to their web page end check the specifications. "BRASS THRU HULLS" and
"BRASS GATE VALVES (CAPS added for emphasis). Real boats have bronze and
use sea cocks or (not as good but acceptable) ball valves. SS is listed as
an option. wonder what else they done on the CHEAP.

Fred

"Alex Moore" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Alex Moore

Go to their web page end check the specifications. "BRASS THRU HULLS"
and
"BRASS GATE VALVES (CAPS added for emphasis). Real boats have bronze and
use sea cocks or (not as good but acceptable) ball valves. SS is listed as
an option. wonder what else they done on the CHEAP.

Fred

Fred: Thanks for the reply. I thought brass was fine. Do you think
this should sway my purchase? As for the stainless steel scenario,
there's an upgrade package for the SS. What it is you get total SS on
the deck floor (all the wells storage areas) of the boat & "pull-up"
SS cleats that recess flush. The cost for the upgrade is minimal. The
boat does come with a normal SS package, just not as much SS were it
should be but with the boat loaded it costs 34,400.00!

I too have concerns about the price tag., thinking that Polar is
cutting corners. I did find 4 reviews on the web in regards to their
19' CC & 21' CC & they all came back as positive. A couple have
mentioned that Polar is trying to buy the Northeast market & trying to
get name reconition & market share.

I can see a few things were they cut corners i.e. the anchor storage
area is unfinished & the inside of the Porta-Pottie is very rawl
looking i.e. no gelcoat etc. That I don't care about. I want to get
into a 23' CC & I don't have $55,000.00 to spend.

We have a boat show coming next week so I'll keep my options open.
When I bought my first boat 8 years ago, I purchased a Proline 17' CC
it cost me $14,000.00 w/ a Load-Rite trailer. I'm sure I could have
purchased a 23' then for much less coin then now. My mistake. The
price of boats have skyrocketed in the past 5 years! Too bad we all
can't be super wealthy!

Regards,

Alex