A.Z

Default Winterizing queries ?

I am about to winterize my Mercury 4-stroke 90hp engine.

Apart from using a stabilizer, is there anything else I should do to
minimize the effects of long duration storage of my boat? It will be
winterized next week and won't be in the water till next
June-July...This means the gas will be sitting in the tank for some
nine months. Since I don't use the boat enough to completely empty the
large 100 litre tank each year, a bit of that gas is from the previous
year.

I read many posts recommending the use of higher octane gasolines.
Is there any reason why the advantages of higher octane not apply to 4
strokes ?

André
Jere Lull

A.Z wrote:

I am about to winterize my Mercury 4-stroke 90hp engine.

Apart from using a stabilizer, is there anything else I should do to
minimize the effects of long duration storage of my boat? It will be
winterized next week and won't be in the water till next
June-July...This means the gas will be sitting in the tank for some
nine months. Since I don't use the boat enough to completely empty the
large 100 litre tank each year, a bit of that gas is from the previous
year.

I read many posts recommending the use of higher octane gasolines.
Is there any reason why the advantages of higher octane not apply to 4
strokes ?

André

I'd drain as much out of the engine as possible and put the fuel in the
car and get rid of it as I drive (in small doses if it's premixed with
oil). Other than that, flush & antifreeze the cooling system, change the
oils, plug up any place bugs and birds can get in and the rest of the
standard list of winterizing chores.

I like to take the impeller out, but it could be a PITA in your engine.
'Course, change it now or try to find all the pieces when you change it
later is a continuing question....

--
Jere Lull

Newbie Question - Boat Winterizing Shakeel General 6 June 10th 04 02:07 AM
winterizing an outboard in the NorthEast Russell Hermansen General 1 October 29th 03 07:46 PM
Winterizing in Sflorida Ed General 11 October 14th 03 02:40 PM
Newbie: No winterizing for heated storage? Sparkslaw General 2 September 16th 03 05:41 AM
Winterizing a Honda outboard 4 stroke (90HP) Messing In Boats General 2 September 13th 03 04:42 AM