Default HELP: Hour Meter for Volvo Diesel

The LED Engine Hour display on my Volvo Diesel (MD22L BT) has failed, and I
need to get a reliable replacement (does not have to be Volvo).

Can anyone recommend a well made Hour Meter that works on 12DC. Ideally it
would match the other round Volvo instruments, i.e. voltmeter, tachometer,
fuel etc. Apart from wiring it in series with the start switch is there any
other wiring involved?

Does it have to be tamper-proof to meet legal requirements? If so, how do I
account for the engine hours already on the engine?

Appreciate any info.

Thanks
cvj

It has removed 0 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

You can try the following link. They supply Volvo parts, but I didn't
see any mention of hour meters. They would surely know where to get one.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/
Volvo Penta, Mercruiser and more - Marine Parts Express - engines,
outdrives, propellers

Just offhand, it seems unlikely that the meter would be wired in series
with anything. It probably should see a full 12 volts when the ignition
is on. Check your engine documentation if you are unsure about wiring
the hour meter.

Good question about picking up elapsed engine hours. My guess (exactly
that) is the odometer law for automobiles doesn't apply to hour meters
on boats. Keep a record in your engine log of elapsed hours at the time
of replacement. Presumably, the log already shows various maintenance
events and corresponding elapsed hours. That ought to satisfy a
prospective buyer.

Good luck.

Chuck

The ubiquitous 12 VDC hour meters used in the light aircraft market are
'Hobbs' hour meters.

See: http://content.honeywell.com/sensing...scorp/cat1.asp

Available at Aircraft Spruce, Sporty's etc.

My Vetus (marine diesel) control panel came with a standard Hobbs hour
meter; maybe it's the same as Volvo...?

MW

wrote:
The ubiquitous 12 VDC hour meters used in the light aircraft market are
'Hobbs' hour meters.

See:
http://content.honeywell.com/sensing...scorp/cat1.asp

Available at Aircraft Spruce, Sporty's etc.

My Vetus (marine diesel) control panel came with a standard Hobbs hour
meter; maybe it's the same as Volvo...?

MW

I picked up a pair of brand new surplus Volvo marine hour meters a few
years ago on Ebay, they were cheap, like $20 each. At that price, it's
worth a look. Hour meters are usually wired into an oil pressure type
of switch, this way they only record hours when the engine is running,
not when the ignition switch is in the on position.

John

Marine algae derived enzymes as diesel catalysts.......... [email protected] General 1 May 23rd 06 05:15 AM
How does work diesel engine.? zee-qi General 19 July 8th 05 01:12 PM
Hour Meter Joe Blizzard General 7 August 16th 04 12:57 PM
How to use a simple SWR meter and what it means to your VHF Larry W4CSC Electronics 74 November 25th 03 03:45 AM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM