Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default insurance claim

My boat got banged up. Innocently tied up to the dock and the boat
immediately upwind broke free in a wind storm and bashed both bows a
bit (it's a cat) and really busted up the fwd. crossbeam.

I've called my insurance company, they sent a surveyor, and the other
guy is insured too. I'm not sure which insurance company is going to
be paying for it yet but I'm wondering about repairing the bows.

My agent said they usually paint the whole hull if the damage is
significant (it is; see pictures he www.maiaaboard.blogspot.com)

The same insurance company surveyor I spoke with (after he saw the
damage) said that in an older boat like ours that the usual practice
is to just paint/gelcoat the damaged area. I wasn't wild about that
because it's very hard to colour match faded gelcoat. His explanation
was if they painted the whole hulls it would "leave the boat better
than it was before the accident".

The wording of my policy is somewhat vague as to how repairs are to be
made - generally it says repairs will be made according to generally
accepted shipyard practice or in consultation with the boat builder.

Any thoughts on colour matching gelcoat? I also spoke to the surveyor
who originally surveyed my boat. He said it can be done but in 5
years the differential fading will make it obvious that a repair has
been made. Do I have a leg to stand on if I insist they paint the
whole hulls?

Thanks,

Evan Gatehouse