Default Rough estimates of miles per day sailing...

Hey all,

Can anyone provide a link to references regarding reasonable mileage
made good for a given 24 hour period of sailing. I've heard estimates
ranging from 50 to 100 nautical miles per twenty four hour period for
monohulls and 75 to 150 nautical miles per twenty four hour period for
catamarans. This is assuming "delivery" style sailing, no stopping for
pleasure, etc. It also presumes that the winds are relatively
favorable, not beating upwind.

Any opinions, experience or actual data would be greatly appreciated.

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 07:52:52 GMT, AMPowers
wrote:

Any opinions, experience or actual data would be greatly appreciated.

How much experience do you have with the boat? What is your typical
"off the wind" speed? Is your crew good enough to sail it well 24
hours a day?

There are way to many variables to give you an accurate estimate.
Your range of 75 to 150 NM per day sounds like it should be in the
ball park but in the end it will all depend on conditions.

I have done 200 mile days in a monohull but that is the exception not
the rule, and that was in a fully crewed and equipped 50 ft racing
sloop.

Wayne.B wrote:

How much experience do you have with the boat? What is your typical
"off the wind" speed? Is your crew good enough to sail it well 24
hours a day?

It is a relatively new boat for us (owned it less than a year) and our
first catamaran. During our last cruise (over 500 miles) we averaged
about 125 nautical miles a day, but that was with an inexperienced crew
and we were beating to weather. I'd like to believe we should do better
this trip as we are running with the wind for a majority of it and the
crew will consist of several more seasoned sailors - but we also tend to
sail conservatively (always reef the main at night, don't push the boat
or crew, don't allow it to be overpowered, etc.)

Mostly I'd like to get some sense of what others expect/anticipate when
planning their voyages to verify that mine estimates are reasonable.

I use 5 kts as my estimate and am happy when I do 6-7+. The later rate
isn't a problem unless it gets you to an unknown destination during the
night. So, I'd plan on 120-150 miles a day.

-- Geoff

AMPowers wrote in newsz9dh.26096$wP1.8415
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

Hey all,

Can anyone provide a link to references regarding reasonable mileage
made good for a given 24 hour period of sailing. I've heard estimates
ranging from 50 to 100 nautical miles per twenty four hour period for
monohulls and 75 to 150 nautical miles per twenty four hour period for
catamarans. This is assuming "delivery" style sailing, no stopping for
pleasure, etc. It also presumes that the winds are relatively
favorable, not beating upwind.

Any opinions, experience or actual data would be greatly appreciated.

Can anyone provide a link to references regarding reasonable mileage
made good for a given 24 hour period of sailing. ...

http://www.pangolin.co.nz/yotreps/reporter_list.php has a list of boats
actually making passages and the same list is kept historically. There
are programs you can download onto your PC that have rudimentary
mapping as well. You will need roll your own statistics. Keep in mind
that different people have different definitions of what a daily run
is. Record keepers and racers all pretty much agree that a daily run
is a great circle distance between two points in any 24 hours.
However, lots of cruisers prefer to define average day's run as the
distance between ports divided by the number of days between ports (ie.
distance made good on course per day).

-- Tom.

100 miles per day...makes planning a breeze..
(no punn intended).....

‹(•¿•)›

On Dec 5, 12:52Â*am, AMPowers wrote:
Hey all,

Can anyone provide a link to references regarding reasonable mileage
made good for a given 24 hour period of sailing. Â* I've heard estimates
ranging from 50 to 100 nautical miles per twenty four hour period for
monohulls and 75 to 150 nautical miles per twenty four hour period for
catamarans. Â*This is assuming "delivery" style sailing, no stopping for
pleasure, etc. Â*It also presumes that the winds are relatively
favorable, not beating upwind.

Any opinions, experience or actual data would be greatly appreciated.

I've made several trans-oceanic
voyages....Hawaii-Victoria,Victoria-Maui,
Mexico-Tahiti.
If you are sailing downwind....my experience in monos shows a daily
run of anywhere from 130-180 nautical miles a day.
If you stay out of the "highs",and do spinnaker runs during daylight
hours,
you should be able to manage 7-8 knots easily.
These trips were made in a 41,42,and 50 foot boats respectively.
Can't speak for cats,as I have no experience,but
I would think they would be faster.

news

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
100 miles per day...makes planning a breeze..

It's also nice to have a boat that goes six knots. I often adjust my
throttle slightly under power to set the speed at six knots - 10 minutes per
mile. It's very close to my normal cruise anyway.

--
Roger Long

If you are sailing downwind....my experience in monos shows a daily
run of anywhere from 130-180 nautical miles a day. ...

Those seem like reasonable numbers to me, but be aware that the
variances might be quite high. Nothing is for sure with a sail boat.
Even on the same routes at similar times of year I've found that my
passage times can vary by a factor of two, and I'm not alone in this.
There was a boat sailing near me on my last passage up from New Zealand
who had arranged a complete crew change in Tahiti on the assumption
that he could make 100 miles a day no mater what. Sadly he ended up
hove to for a week and found himself a week late and in the Cooks... I
typically plan passages in stages. At a preliminary stage I look at
the pilot charts and make a rough guess at how long a passage will take
and then double that number to make allowances for waiting on weather
and such. This can take place years ahead of time. Starting a few
weeks before the intended passage I start looking at weather charts
daily to get a feel for the macro weather and readjust my expected time
based on the weather I think I'm going to be sailing in. Finally, when
I check-out I look one more time at the best wx models I can get and
make a final estimate of my passage time and then tell everyone that I
plan to take twice as long as I suspect I really will. YMMV.

-- Tom.

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 16th 05 05:32 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 December 24th 04 05:19 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 September 24th 04 05:22 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 January 16th 04 09:20 AM