Default Rough estimates of miles per day sailing...

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:11:50 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I use 5 kts as my estimate and am happy when I do 6-7+. The later rate
isn't a problem unless it gets you to an unknown destination during the
night. So, I'd plan on 120-150 miles a day.

-- Geoff

I assume five knots, hour in and hour out, even though she will hit eight
when all is in the groove. I would never budget more than 100 nautical
miles in a 24 hour period. For every eight knot burst there's a three knot
drift.

Same here. For trip planning I always used 5kts average for a 37'
monohull and it's worked out well.

Steve

Subject

If it is coastal cruising, assume 50 miles/day.

Doesn't make much difference where you sail or on what type/size boat,
50 miles per day is a good average.

Lew

You need to make a decision about iron wind. On a "delivery trip", I'll
use the engine when speed drops below 4 knots to push along at 5.5
knots ( about 2000 rpm on my 55' monohull and minimal fuel usage). This
strategy provides a pretty reliable 140-150 mile 24 hour run.

When I'm out for fun - it's no engine and no hurry.

Carl

I have a 2003 Beneteau 473 which puts down about a 46' waterline and has
approximately 1,100 Sq. Ft of sail between the genoa and mainsail.

This summer I left Baltimore, Maryland on the evening of June 25th and
arrived in Castine, Maine late morning of July 1st. Five and a half days
and 550 miles later for an even 100 mile a day average. Since we stopped
and spent an entire day and a half at Great Salt Pond in Block Island, Rhode
Island we only spent four days sailing for an average of 137.5 nautical
miles a day for a 5.75 Kt average.

We averaged 10 Kt. winds from the SW to the SE so we were running or
reaching all the way except the 95 miles to clear the C&D Canal and the
Delaware Bay. We also timed the Cape Cod Canal right so we went through on
a full flood tide. At night we would take one reef in both sails. Because
you are getting pretty far north we only had darkness for 7 hours a night.

You will have to retrieve historical data on the prevailing winds for your
trip. You may also want to pull tide and current data if that affects your
journey. I had the latest NWS 96 hour weater forecasts and I knew the
prevailing winds would be SW with some swing as far as SE. I also have
weather radio, weather fax and navtex on the boat. We timed the current in
the C&D Canal, Delaware Bay and Cape Code Canal so we would have the current
with us.

Assuming you know how your boat sails at various points of sail I think you
will find that you can come very close to your estimates. We missed our
estimate on our arrival at the R2 Bell at Block Island by only 2 hours. We
arrived in Castine, Maine within 3 hours of our initial estimate.

Regards,

Cap'n Ric
USCG Licensed Captain

After considerable thought and analysis ... I come up with = = 20 miles per
day.

The number could be much higher if: I didn't get up so late, decide to
make coffee and have a bagel, read the local paper of whatever town I am
moored in, spend time talking to numerous other sailors about such things as
moorings, docks, the nice ass on the girl in the marina ,,,

Then,,, I get her ready. Put this away, put that away, test this, test
that, make sure there is fuel, check the weather, talk on the marine radio
because it is fun, play with the dinghy, get out the charts, set up my
"sailor cd/radio/tape player", call over to other boats as to where they are
heading, ... have another cup of coffee ,, go below and clean up ... row in
to use the men's room at the marina with the girl with the nice ass ,,,

Finally set sail.

Sail for 4-6 hours. At 4-5 knots. Go approximately 20 miles but never in
the direction I want to go in because the wind is all wrong.

Check my handy Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast ..

Pick out a nice anchorage.

Sail in, start motor, drop hook.

Pour myself a cold diet pepsi.

Have an appetizer.

Pick out a movie for the evening and set up the DVD Player ..

Relax.

20 miles...

Anymore than that would be tough.

Its time to go lie down.
"AMPowers" wrote in message
news
Hey all,

Can anyone provide a link to references regarding reasonable mileage made
good for a given 24 hour period of sailing. I've heard estimates ranging
from 50 to 100 nautical miles per twenty four hour period for monohulls
and 75 to 150 nautical miles per twenty four hour period for catamarans.
This is assuming "delivery" style sailing, no stopping for pleasure, etc.
It also presumes that the winds are relatively favorable, not beating
upwind.

Any opinions, experience or actual data would be greatly appreciated.

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 07:38:41 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

Tee hee. Actually sounds like the general practice of our sailing club where
anything more than twenty miles and/or five hours is extreme over-exertion. I
was once Fleet Captain and tried to set up 40-mile days -- you know, get from
City Island to Block Island in three daylight days -- resulting in grand
mutiny.

40 mile days on a club cruise are difficult for the smaller boats.
Our first cruiser was a Westerly 28 and we always arrived late for the
end of day parties. We didn't get much sympathy from the big guys but
it is a real issue if you are trying to encourage broad participation.

One strategy our club eventually adopted was to start the cruise out
east at some place like BI or Newport and let everyone figure out the
best way to get there on their own time schedule. After that we'd do
short hops only.

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 07:32:03 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article . net,
says...

Subject

If it is coastal cruising, assume 50 miles/day.

Doesn't make much difference where you sail or on what type/size boat,
50 miles per day is a good average.

Lew

That can't be for 24 hours, can it?

When I do coastal cruising, I'm usually sailing 12 hours and anchored
12 hours a day. So 50 miles a day is about right.

Steve

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 16th 05 05:32 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 December 24th 04 05:19 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 September 24th 04 05:22 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 January 16th 04 09:20 AM