posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Staining teak trim before varnishing?

I'm getting ready to do a major varnish project on my Grand Banks 49
and was thinking that it might be nice to have the teak more or less
the same color (some is lighter, some darker, etc.). The wood will be
stripped and sanded before I start with the varnish.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, whatever with staining
teak? If so, what type and color of stain would you recommend?

Is there any downside other than some loss of wood grain visibility?

I'm planning to use epifanes gloss varnish which builds up to a dark
amber color with enough coats.
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

I wouldn't do it. I tried it a few months ago on a laminated teak display
easel I was building for a friend down in the BVI. Stained with an aniline
dye which is the most transparent of all stain types to subdue the variation
in the veneers and it still came out with a muddy look under the varnish.
Stripped it down to bare wood and started over.

BTW, if anyone gets to Tortola and want to repay the first mate for putting
up with your boating addiction, be sure to take her to the Brandywine
Restaurant. Finest dining experience in the Caribbean. I made the menu
easels. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to do a major varnish project on my Grand Banks 49
and was thinking that it might be nice to have the teak more or less
the same color (some is lighter, some darker, etc.). The wood will be
stripped and sanded before I start with the varnish.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, whatever with staining
teak? If so, what type and color of stain would you recommend?

Is there any downside other than some loss of wood grain visibility?

I'm planning to use epifanes gloss varnish which builds up to a dark
amber color with enough coats.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Staining teak is generally a bad idea. I've seen it tried twice (Albin
trawler and Jeaneau 41). and in both cases it was a disaster.
The problem is that teak is oily and hard to stain evenly. If your teak
has been ignored over the years and drier (In that you didn't oil it),
it might stain more evenly. Depending on the condition of the wood and
it's depth, it may be hard or even impossible to undo the staining
process.
After he tried it, the owner of the Albin told me it had been as dumb
as painting a DeLorean. Teak is a gorgeous wood. Don't stain it.

Good luck in any case!

Robert B
Beneteau 35s5
NY
http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/index.html

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

There are products specifically made to even out the ability of difficult woods
to absorb stains. Ask anyone who builds and finishes furniture.

The fellow with the Albin used something that smelled like acetone for
that very purpose. It didn't work. Nothing was capable of getting
enough oil out of the teak. I haven't looked lately, but the last time
I did most sites said staining teak was not a good idea either.
If the original poster tries it I'd like to hear the results. At my
yard it's generally considered a no-no.

Robert B
35s5
NY

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

There are products specifically made to even out the ability of difficult
woods
to absorb stains. Ask anyone who builds and finishes furniture.

The fellow with the Albin used something that smelled like acetone for
that very purpose. It didn't work. Nothing was capable of getting
enough oil out of the teak. I haven't looked lately, but the last time
I did most sites said staining teak was not a good idea either.
If the original poster tries it I'd like to hear the results. At my
yard it's generally considered a no-no.

Robert B
35s5
NY

Maybe use an oil based stain?

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

There are products specifically made to even out the ability of
difficult woods
to absorb stains. Ask anyone who builds and finishes furniture.

The fellow with the Albin used something that smelled like acetone for
that very purpose. It didn't work. Nothing was capable of getting
enough oil out of the teak. I haven't looked lately, but the last time
I did most sites said staining teak was not a good idea either.
If the original poster tries it I'd like to hear the results. At my
yard it's generally considered a no-no.

Robert B
35s5
NY

Maybe use an oil based stain?

I have to concur with those who say "Don't do it." The variations in the
grain are part of the beauty of teak. If you would stain it, you might as
well go whole hog and just *paint* it.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

have to concur with those who say "Don't do it." The variations in the

grain are part of the beauty of teak. If you would stain it, you might
as
well go whole hog and just *paint* it.

That's a very good point and I've seen people paint over teak with good
results. That may be a smarter move as well since you can get the paint
off one day.

Robert B
35s5
NY

On 3 Dec 2006 17:01:42 -0800, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

That's a very good point and I've seen people paint over teak with good
results. That may be a smarter move as well since you can get the paint
off one day.

If you seal the wood with varnish first, it is possible to remove the
paint at a later date. We have already painted some of the teak trim
that is difficult to get at but it would not look good on the part
that I'm doing now.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Instead of staining consider 'tinting' the varnish after the first few
coats.
Check with the varnish maufacturer for the best chemical 'match' of
tint to varnish; for oil based varnished I use aniline dyes .... just a
'pinch' is 'plenty' and build up with coats till you reach the 'hue'
you want. If you are over 50 years of age, get some younger person to
help with the color match as old eyes cant perceive colors very well.
;-)

In article , Wayne.B
wrote:

I'm getting ready to do a major varnish project on my Grand Banks 49
and was thinking that it might be nice to have the teak more or less
the same color (some is lighter, some darker, etc.). The wood will be
stripped and sanded before I start with the varnish.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, whatever with staining
teak? If so, what type and color of stain would you recommend?

Is there any downside other than some loss of wood grain visibility?

I'm planning to use epifanes gloss varnish which builds up to a dark
amber color with enough coats.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Teak is a gorgeous wood. Don't stain it.

Being a woodworker, I feel that way about many woods. I had a customer once
that wanted "cherry wood" cabinets. When the material was delivered (I do
the woodworking on site), he thought I was trying to rip him off. He
couldn't believe that the wood delivered was cherry. I explained to him that
cherry wood develops that deep cherry tone with age, and this is how it
looks new. He didn't want to wait, so I stained it with that sh*ty rosewood
stain. He was happy, and I was paid. I still didn't like ruining that
gorgeous wood though... AAMOF, I have a fair amount left over from that job,
and it's been sitting in my shop for 10 years or so. It's looking VERY nice
right about now. Now I just have to figure out what to make out of it.

--Mike

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Staining teak is generally a bad idea. I've seen it tried twice (Albin
trawler and Jeaneau 41). and in both cases it was a disaster.
The problem is that teak is oily and hard to stain evenly. If your teak
has been ignored over the years and drier (In that you didn't oil it),
it might stain more evenly. Depending on the condition of the wood and
it's depth, it may be hard or even impossible to undo the staining
process.
After he tried it, the owner of the Albin told me it had been as dumb
as painting a DeLorean. Teak is a gorgeous wood. Don't stain it.

Good luck in any case!

Robert B
Beneteau 35s5
NY
http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/index.html

Staining teak trim before varnishing? Wayne.B General 15 December 6th 06 05:01 PM
Staining teak trim before varnishing? Wayne.B Boat Building 15 December 6th 06 05:01 PM
Trim Woes [email protected] General 2 July 2nd 06 09:20 PM
Some teak questions John Garrison Boat Building 4 May 27th 06 05:54 AM
Removing teak oil from interior veneer prior to varnishing it Richard Black Cruising 8 April 27th 04 01:13 AM