BoatBanter.com

-   -   Toilet orientation (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/76186-toilet-orientation.html)

Lauri Tarkkonen November 27th 06 10:52 PM

Toilet orientation

In "KLC Lewis" writes:

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
KLC Lewis wrote:

I too have always thought that centerline orientation is best for the
head. Unfortunately, I've never seen a smaller-to-moderately sized boat
where this works. Of course, one could always make the head the focal
point of the boat, but most visitors would find it odd.

LOL Perhaps not if it were a portapotty with a "dropleaf" lid panels
that would allow it to double as a coffee table....?? :)

(sorry...but the mental images were just irresistable)

--
Peggie
----------

Hmmm...maybe this is doable after all! lol

It just occured to me that right smack in the middle of my saloon/galley
area is a removable bilge cover. Maybe if I chiseled-out some of that
concrete I could set the porta-potti down there... OOps -- I forgot. The
Bilge Beaver wouldn't take kindly to my intruding into his living space.

I had a 27 foot cruiser, without any toilet arrangement execpt a bucket
and when the boat was bought by a friend of mine, who had a vife and 2
daughters, they voted (3 to 1) that the boat must have a toilet, so they
bought a Porta-Potti and with a piece of plywood it was used as a cabin
table, and without the lid as a toilet. Of course the rest of the crew
had to go to the cockpit to allow some privacy to the user of the
toilet. It was less complicated than most think, as in harbour they used
the harbour sanitary facilities and while sailing most of the time the
people were in the cockpit anyway.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Roger Long November 27th 06 11:08 PM

Toilet orientation

Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:

snip

bought a Porta-Potti and with a piece of plywood it was used as a cabin
table, and without the lid as a toilet.

This brings to mind the mystery of why everything tastes so much better on a
boat.

-- Roger Long

Jack Dale November 27th 06 11:27 PM

Toilet orientation

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:44:33 -0500, Larry wrote:

chuck wrote in news:1164640131_31999
:

Pitching and rolling are factors, but what of an ocean-going sailboat
heeled to port or stbd for days or weeks at a time?

Isn't that what the lee rail is for?.....(c;

DOWNWIND, DAMMIT, DOWNWIND!!

Larry

I have heard somwhere that 85% of men who fall overbaord have their
fly open ;-)

Marc Auslander November 27th 06 11:34 PM

Toilet orientation

Its been argued that the head should be on the port side of the boat.
Because a boat on starboard can stay that way, but one on port may be
forced to tack. The port-starboard tack moves you from leaning forward
to leaning back which is safer than being propelled through the head
door if the head were to starboard.

Garland Gray II November 28th 06 12:47 AM

Toilet orientation

On a catamaran, even simpler than your bucket, is the Spronk head. A large
deck plate through the bridge deck set back from the steps down into the
hulls.
If enough of a sea, you get a bonus... a bidet.

"Lauri Tarkkonen" wrote in message
In "KLC Lewis"
writes:

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
t...

Don White November 28th 06 12:53 AM

Toilet orientation

Larry wrote:
Don White wrote in news:feHah.25690$cz.390868
@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/Hpim0171.jpg

No paper?!

That's why God gave us two hands...one for the boat and one for your butt!

Actually, that pic was taken last year after the cushions & gear were
stripped for the winter.

KLC Lewis November 28th 06 01:01 AM

Toilet orientation

"Don White" wrote in message
Larry wrote:
Don White wrote in news:feHah.25690$cz.390868
@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/Hpim0171.jpg

No paper?!

That's why God gave us two hands...one for the boat and one for your butt!

Actually, that pic was taken last year after the cushions & gear were
stripped for the winter.

You're not aware that toilet paper can be winterised? ;-)

Capt. JG November 28th 06 02:16 AM

Toilet orientation

"Marc Auslander" wrote in message
Its been argued that the head should be on the port side of the boat.
Because a boat on starboard can stay that way, but one on port may be
forced to tack. The port-starboard tack moves you from leaning forward
to leaning back which is safer than being propelled through the head
door if the head were to starboard.
--

Interesting theory... mine is on the port side.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Larry November 28th 06 04:34 AM

Toilet orientation

Peggie Hall wrote in news:ZKJah.844$Py2.662
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

LOL Perhaps not if it were a portapotty with a "dropleaf" lid panels
that would allow it to double as a coffee table....?? :)

(sorry...but the mental images were just irresistable)

-

HEY! WATCHIT! When I was a young sailor back in the mid 1960's, I had a
Volkswagon Kombi camper with the popup top. Under the seat behind the
driver, that looked backwards at the dinette table, I installed that
portapottie. It fit perfectly!

As we camped in hot South Carolina, I installed a small A/C in the port
bulkhead in the middle window over the table right above the "head". The
A/C leaned in, due to the slope of the window, so I had to drill a hole
in the drain pan and drain the condensate inside the van to a hose. This
was great because the condensate water was plumbed into the supply tank
of the little Porta Pottie to fill its fresh water supply tank...which
never needed filling.... An overflow, installed at the top of the tank,
drained off excess flush water under the camper.

The "holding tank" on the bottom you'd normally remove to dump by hand,
was modified by adding a holding tank outside drain valve and hose
fitting that was sealed into a hole cut into the floor of the camper. It
dumped like the big RVs at any dump station, without taking the Porta
Pottie apart.

Some foam tape sealed the seat to the bowl and more on the lid sealed the
lid to the seat to make the top gas tight. The weight of the camper's
padded seat over the storage compartment was perfect to press down on the
lid to increase the seal. A small shim glued to the bottom of the seat
made it so. Once closed and the camper ventilated, you'd never know it
had its own pottie facility.....right at the dinner table...(c;

We had some great parties in that camper. DC power came from an 8D
monster battery under the fold-down rear bed seat with battery cables
running back to the powerful 37hp Volkswagen engine's old fashioned DC
generator on the fan shaft.

A cop stopped me for speeding on I-26 in Columbia, SC, on the way to a
campout. The speed limit was 70 in those days. The flow limiter built
into the bottom of the carb would only let it go 65, even down a steep
hill to keep from overrevving the pancake engine that had reduction gears
on each drive wheel. I showed the cop the VW seal and offered to see him
in court over the ticket. He tore up the ticket and laid rubber getting
away from me...(c; I was the slowest thing next to a garbage truck!

Thanks for the memories, Peggie. It truly was a "self-contained"
camper....(c;

Larry
--
If we eliminate religion, will they stop murdering each other?

Larry November 28th 06 04:36 AM

Toilet orientation

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Lauri Tarkkonen wrote:

snip

bought a Porta-Potti and with a piece of plywood it was used as a
cabin table, and without the lid as a toilet.

This brings to mind the mystery of why everything tastes so much
better on a boat.

-- Roger Long

ROFLMAO.....(c;

Thanks!