Default Fuel Polisher as oil change device?

This may have been covered in some distant past threads, but if so, I
don't recall the outcome of what most likely was conjecture rather than
petroleum engineering observation, in any event.

Thus...

My Perkins 4-154 has a sump drain which connects to a hose with a
seacock inline. To do oil changes, one opens the seacock, connects a
pump to the higher-than-the-engine end of the hose and evacuates the
old oil, changes the filter and puts in new oil.

My fuel polishing setup is now complete, and is such overkill in volume
(3.5 gpm, run for 24 hours, would recycle my entire tank more than 50
times, at a cost of about 19AH) that I'm comfortable with its ability
to clean my tank, regardless of what may come up the common supply tube
(engine feeds from the same line). I've also now got a dual Racor
setup to be able to change filters with the engine running - both the
polishing system and the Racors have vacuum gauges to monitor
appropriate change intervals - but that's not the point of my post.
That big pump, recycling to that big tank, is...

Is there any scientific reason which would encourage, or discourage,
utilizing a pump to do engine oil change waste oil evacuations, putting
the waste oil into the diesel tank (circa 100 gallons; i.e. ~1-2%
typical), for mixing and burning with the rest, thus neatly not only
solving the disposal problem but also reclaiming the dead dinos'
energy?

If there are engineering reasons against, due to the nature of the
waste oil, are there any levels of change (more frequent) which would
mitigate those, assuming that filter changes occurred at the same
intervals?

I know it's useless to ask :{)) but it would be more informative to
have sound engineering rather than conjecture in reply to this topic...

L8R

Skip, back to shoring up ancient flooring supports

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

About 15 years ago, maybe more, there was a truck featured in a trucking
magazine that did just that, although it was a continuous operation. Oil was
continuously bled out of the system to be combined with the incoming fuel,
and fresh oil added, continuously. I would assume the oil would have to be
filtered to the extreme before you would want to allow it through the
injectors. IIRC, the truck was sort of a rolling demo, painted black, and a
name something like Mega.

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

On 20 Nov 2006 18:06:19 -0800, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

If there are engineering reasons against, due to the nature of the
waste oil, are there any levels of change (more frequent) which would
mitigate those, assuming that filter changes occurred at the same
intervals?

I know it's useless to ask :{)) but it would be more informative to
have sound engineering rather than conjecture in reply to this topic...

Recycling crankcase oil as diesel fuel is quite common among large
fleet users, and there is actually some engineering information on the
web. I know people with a Skookum 53 long range cruiser where the
recycling system is actually built into the boat. Racor makes a
system to do this but it is too expensive for recreational boaters in
my opinion, about $2000 if memory is correct. To make a long story
short, the oil to be recycled should be passed through a filter and
then blended with diesel at a 20 to one ratio, i.e., 20 gallons of
diesel to one gallon of used oil.

http://p2library.nfesc.navy.mil/P2_O...ook/6_I_2.html

http://www.awma.org/journal/pdfs/1999/1/ray.pdf

A few of my friends have done this in their trucks for many
years with no apparent problems. 10 gals of motor oil into
200 gal. of diesel. I've always felt the $10 you save wasn't
worth it. Of course, now it's $25.

SBV

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
oups.com..
..
[...]

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by

the things you
didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the

bowlines. Sail

Scotty wrote:
A few of my friends have done this in their trucks for many
years with no apparent problems. 10 gals of motor oil into
200 gal. of diesel. I've always felt the $10 you save wasn't
worth it. Of course, now it's $25.

SBV

The 25-30/whateverbux, while interesting to me, isn't the issue. It's
getting rid of the waste oil. Over in the Seven Seas Cruising
Association forum where I posted the same questing, Rich H, presumed to
be Hampel, previously seen in these parts, said, didactically,

"Simple engineering answer:
expect the lubricating oil (heavy fraction) to not fully ignite in the
combustion chamber, thus vulnerable to form a massive coke deposit
downstream in the exhaust manifold and mixing elbow. You're not burning
Bunker-C /#6 but lightt weight #2 in your engine. If your engine were
set up to burn a heavy oil (which it cant) then adding lubricating
fuels would be OK; otherwise, not. Asphaltic tar will burn too; but,
you wouldnt put 'tar' in the tank either."

Yet, I'm being referred to many sites, including some governmental (see
prior discussion about Algae-X for validation modus [modii?]) position
papers, which say that doing so is the best way to dispose of the
stuff, with no mention of issues in exhaust streams.

OTOH, I have also seen some reference to aggressively mixing the stuff
with fuel before re-insertion into the fuel tank. I'm not at all sure
what that's about, but I also would hazard a guess that oil changes
would happen while not cruising, and my fuel polishing system would do
a very good job of recirculation of stuff which came down the same pipe
as the other polished fuel, and thus mix well...

So, keep the info coming. I'm pretty close to thinking it's a good
idea :{)) but being talked out of it for sound engineering practices
aimed at engine preservation would be OK, too.

L8R

Skip, shoring up sagging soles at the moment

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely
nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing,
messing-about-in-boats; messing about in boats-or *with* boats.

In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter,
that's the charm of it.

Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never
get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to
do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

What does your engine hold, 1 gallon, 1 1/2 ? For that
small amount, I wouldn't worry about it, but then, I'm not a
scientist.

What about the 'acids' they say is in the old motor oil?

SBV

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
ups.com...

Scotty wrote:
[...]

Engine oil and fuel oil have quite different compositions.

One of the main reasons for changing the engine oil at regular intervals is
to rid the engine of potentially harmfull chemical compounds picked up in
the lubricating oil as a by product of combustion. Changing the oil removes
them completely and I for one would not introduce them back into the engine
via the fuel, in any concentration particularly in a marine engine where
reliability and longevity is a key issue.

If it is an environmental issue you are thinking about I would rather fill
my containers with contaminated engine oil and take them to the local tip
site for collection than to burn it in my engine, as at any concentration
the combustion in the engine will still have to burn all your sump oil which
contributes to greenhouse emmissions and any compounds that wont burn will
blow out the exhaust and drop into the water.

I believe burning the cleanest fuel the most efficient way is the best way
to go.

In that regard my efforts and money would best be spent be on keeping the
engine serviced in peak running order, paying particular attention to
compression and injectors and rail pressures leaks etc.

Cam

Skip Gundlach wrote:
Scotty wrote:

[...]

I cannot speak for your engine, but in my Dodge/Cummins truck I have
used 15% used crankcase oil for more than 20,000 miles with no issues. I
only stopped because I began using veggie oil blends.

--
“TAANSTAFL”

The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

Len Len is offline

Hi Skip,

Why change the oil?
Take a look at:
http://www.oil-filter.net/

Fair winds,
Len.

Fuel Polishing, in general Skip Gundlach Boat Building 15 November 29th 06 06:49 PM
Vacuum Gauge for Gasoline Fuel Filter Recommended? And How? [email protected] General 4 June 11th 06 08:42 PM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Marketplace 0 February 19th 04 04:48 PM
engine paint in fuel system David Ward General 0 August 20th 03 04:20 AM