posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Teaching a loved one to sail

Trade what in? the wife? :P
" JimH" not telling you @ pffftt.com wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
ups.com...

David Martel wrote:
O'Hara,

Read your "shame and debasement" post and was stunned that you have
failed to train a crew. If you fell overboard everyone might die. I bet
your
wife can cook, drive a car, etc. so why can't she sail? Clearly she is
capable of learning stuff.
Rather than trying to analyze and correct your teaching skills send
your
wife to a school run by someone with a reputation for competence. The
goal
is for her to learn how to sail not for you to learn how to teach.
I'm assuming here that your wife does want to learn how to sail.

Dave M.

I do not sail with my wife much. I mostly sail single handed where I
use a harness. Even with my wife, I wear an auto-inflatable lifejacket
with personal EPIRB. She simply has little desire to sail.

Time to trade it in for a nice power boat. ;-)

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, I admit I am unable to teach someone. Sometimes you explain it
several times and they dont get it. What do you do? Years ago, I
taught College Physics and my students seemed to think I was good but
that is all abstractions. Teaching a skill is different. I have never
been able to teach my wife to steer a canoe either. I cannot explain
how to do it, I just do it. Its like explaining how to ride a bike.
Some people really want personal instruction and others just want to be
pointed in the right direction and let them go. My son is like my
wife, he craves instruction to the nth degree and he makes me crazy.
My 10 yr old daughter just wants some general directions and she'll
figure out the rest. Of course, my little daughter drives my wife
crazy.
Tacking in the channel was like that. How do I tell her "Steer up when
you feel power coming on from the wind and then down a little when it
goes away". "When you tack, you gotta feel when the wind begins to
catch the jib to help push the bow around in a tight tacking situation"
There is a lotta "feel" that goes into this that I cannot explain.

Doug has it right.
The classic vocational lesson plan:
1. gives the theory
2. enabling skills are taught (how to work a winch is taught as an enabler
to teaching how to sail a boat)
3. demonstrates the skill
4. allows for guided instruction (teacher intervenes as needed)
5. student practices
6. student is assessed
7. prepare to defend yourself against politicians who say everyone must sail
proficiently by 2010.
Scout

Scout wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Especially the SPEDS....
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Scout" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

First you have to tell her what UP is. What is Steering UP? [I'm not
familiar with that term. I have a lot of trouble steering with a
tiller because I find it confusing]

What does it feel like when power comes on from the wind? If you
can't explain the feel part, you need to show her what it feels like
instead of telling her.

You have to go back to basics, or before basics. Although I would
think that you could see the wind catching the jib in addition to
feeling it. [On our boat, we have to pull the jib through the slot
between it and the staysail stay, and we practiced doing that quite a
lot both tacking and jibing before we had it 'down'.]

And let her practice when there isn't any pressure on. My
daughter-the-pilot (of airplanes) refuses to steer any of her
husband's boats (or any boat) when I know she could because if she can
fly a large passenger airplane she could certainly steer a boat. But
her husband apparently yelled at her, and she didn't take it well.
She will GO on the boat, and even fish, and she will scuba and
snorkel, but she won't take the helm.

That's probably what the problem is with the canoe too. You haven't
analyzed what it is you do to steer the canoe, and it may also be the
problem with the power boat when you get it. You will have to analyze
what you do and break it down into component parts.

Have you ever tried to write directions for a computer or robot or
something with no knowledge base how to make a peanut butter sandwich?
You can't start with 'spread the peanut butter on the bread'. First
you have to get the bread and get it out of the package.

Doug has it right.
The classic vocational lesson plan:
1. gives the theory
2. enabling skills are taught (how to work a winch is taught as an enabler
to teaching how to sail a boat)
3. demonstrates the skill
4. allows for guided instruction (teacher intervenes as needed)
5. student practices
6. student is assessed
7. prepare to defend yourself against politicians who say everyone must sail
proficiently by 2010.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Yep, even the ones who: don't want to sail, hate sailing, tell sailing to F
off, hate sailors, sailing gear, wind, water, and surf.
Scout

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
No sailor left behind?

"Scout" wrote in message
wrote in message

oups.com..
.

Doug has it right.
The classic vocational lesson plan:
1. gives the theory
2. enabling skills are taught (how to work a winch is

taught as an enabler
to teaching how to sail a boat)
3. demonstrates the skill
4. allows for guided instruction (teacher intervenes as

needed)
5. student practices
6. student is assessed
7. prepare to defend yourself against politicians who say

everyone must sail
proficiently by 2010.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

OK, I admit I am unable to teach someone. Sometimes you explain it
several times and they dont get it. What do you do? Years ago, I
taught College Physics and my students seemed to think I was good but

SNIP
Tacking in the channel was like that. How do I tell her "Steer up when
you feel power coming on from the wind and then down a little when it
goes away". "When you tack, you gotta feel when the wind begins to
catch the jib to help push the bow around in a tight tacking situation"
There is a lotta "feel" that goes into this that I cannot explain.

I understand completely - I worked as a sailing instructor for 2 years
at a well-known sailing school here in the UK and am now able to offer
the following sage advice:

1 - Don't. Pay someone else to teach them, if they show an interest.
The formality of the relationship between pupil and instructor is
ruined if a relationship is there.
2 - Once they show interest, keep them sailing on undemanding days,
then keep them going on more demanding days with praise & recognition.
3 - Don't grab the helm and take over if it goes wrong - offer some
advice if needed and let them deal with it. Once they have dealt with
the situation, gently tell them what happened, why and what they did to
fix the situation.
4 - Remember, they must be interested - I've successfully taught a good
number of people to sail, and sail well. My 3 kids aren't interested
at all. They no longer sail with me. (Yippee!)

Artie

Cedar strip sail/row boat [email protected] Boat Building 9 December 15th 05 05:09 PM
Sailing Boom Brake - Vangs - Sail shapes +more links Mic Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:32 PM
Ping Thom. Peter Wiley ASA 27 November 1st 05 08:04 AM
Sail Ho! [email protected] General 1 September 9th 05 10:54 PM
rotating sprit sail William R. Watt Cruising 0 September 2nd 04 09:16 PM