Default Why does a drogue / sea anchor have a hole in the center?

What is it good for? Retrieval?

It helps to stabilize the sea anchor.....keeps it from swinging side to
side.
DAVe
wrote in message
oups.com...
What is it good for? Retrieval?

In my yoot, this hole was for the "storm oil" container..... a conical
shaped container containing some fish oil, etc, with a petcock that would
be opened to drain a small quantity of oil to calm the seas.

"Dave W" wrote in
:

It helps to stabilize the sea anchor.....keeps it from swinging side to
side.
DAVe
wrote in message
oups.com...
What is it good for? Retrieval?

Like a traditional parachute it spills water to keep the maximum drag. To
over simplify it, if the water builds up inside a dome of higher pressure
builds up across the leading edges and the flow becomes more like dragging a
ball than a cone. It will start wobbling and loose drag.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is it good for? Retrieval?

Thanks, that makes sense.
Do you know any rule of thumb how large the hole should be, and how
long the cone should be in relation to the front diameter?
I was thinking of using a drogue from the bow of the boat to keep it
pointed into the wind for raising/lowering sails. Is this practical?

Thanks again,

Chris

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Like a traditional parachute it spills water to keep the maximum drag. To
over simplify it, if the water builds up inside a dome of higher pressure
builds up across the leading edges and the flow becomes more like dragging a
ball than a cone. It will start wobbling and loose drag.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is it good for? Retrieval?

Chris,

Could a drogue do this?
Yes, but they are always nasty to bring back aboard. It's worst than
a wet sail because it has to hold water. You can't put it anyplace
that water isn't running out of it.

Why would you do this? I kind of lost there.

How did you get the boat out of the harbor?
If it was towed, stay under tow until the main is set.
If you are under power, use the power to hold head to wind...
If you are sailing alone, if it is a real small boat learn to work fast.
If it is larger, buy and auto-pilot (the best thing ever for setting
and clearing sail short handed).

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Pathological Sailor

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Like a traditional parachute it spills water to keep the maximum drag. To
over simplify it, if the water builds up inside a dome of higher pressure
builds up across the leading edges and the flow becomes more like dragging a
ball than a cone. It will start wobbling and loose drag.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at:
http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
groups.com...

What is it good for? Retrieval?

I was thinking of using a drogue from the bow of the boat to keep it
pointed into the wind for raising/lowering sails. Is this practical?

No it isn't. I find that when I want to get underway offshore without
using the engine that raising or unfurling the jib and then putting the
boat as hard on the wind as she'll go and then raising the main works
well. I only drop the main either in a big squall or in a calm while
at sea, in either case I find I can get the main down on any point of
sail. However, if you have trouble you can reverse the hoisting
procedure. In any case, drogues are a pain and sea anchors are a major
pain.

-- Tom.

On 13 Nov 2006 16:39:41 -0800, "
wrote:

In any case, drogues are a pain and sea anchors are a major
pain.

I agree to the extent that you still have control of the boat. If you
don't, anything that works.

I agree to the extent that you still have control of the boat. If you
don't, anything that works.

Indeed. I have both a sea anchor and a drogue and I've even used the
drogue in anger, but they wouldn't do for every day... If you can't
get your sails up and down in anything on the nice side of a gale then
something is not right.

-- Tom.

Why does a drogue / sea anchor have a hole in the center? [email protected] Boat Building 13 November 18th 06 04:08 AM
How to Drill Out a Broken Bolt? [email protected] General 83 October 29th 06 04:56 PM
Good info Sailaway Boat Building 2 June 29th 06 12:19 PM
Good info Sailaway Cruising 2 June 29th 06 12:19 PM
Making a big hole bigger...a tip engsol Cruising 10 June 28th 05 05:04 AM