engsol

Default Making a big hole bigger...a tip

I'm replacing my knotmeter with a new unit. The hitch is that the
old sensor required a 1 3/4" hole in the hull, but the new sensor
requires a 2" hole.

Ever try to use a hole saw without something for the pilot drill to
bite into? Very difficult, and certain to make gouge marks where
you'd prefer there be none..

My solution was to nest a 1 3/4" hole saw with the 2" hole saw.
The smaller hole saw now becomes the "guide" for the larger.
After well started, the inner hole saw is removed. Worked perfectly.

I bet I'm the only person in the world who didn't know this trick, but
just in case not, I thought I'd pass it along.
Norm B

Use a hole saw to make a wood plug slightly smaller than your existing
hole. Tack it into place with hot melt glue and then cut your new hole
with the appropriate hole saw using the center hole in the plug as your
starting guide. Go easy at first until the track for the new hole is
well established.

Larry W4CSC

engsol wrote in
:

Ever try to use a hole saw without something for the pilot drill to
bite into? Very difficult, and certain to make gouge marks where
you'd prefer there be none..

Use the hole saw to cut a 2" hole in a block of wood. Place the 2" hole
firmly over the place you want to cut the 2" hole in the panel, over the
smaller hole. While firmly holding the wood block where you want it, with
clamps if you can get them to clamp it hard, the block will guide the hole
saw, keeping it centered over where it should be from the outside around
the hole saw blade as you press inward to make the new cut with your wood-
block-hole-saw-guide you made.

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.

Bob La Londe

"engsol" wrote in message
I'm replacing my knotmeter with a new unit. The hitch is that the
old sensor required a 1 3/4" hole in the hull, but the new sensor
requires a 2" hole.

Ever try to use a hole saw without something for the pilot drill to
bite into? Very difficult, and certain to make gouge marks where
you'd prefer there be none..

My solution was to nest a 1 3/4" hole saw with the 2" hole saw.
The smaller hole saw now becomes the "guide" for the larger.
After well started, the inner hole saw is removed. Worked perfectly.

I bet I'm the only person in the world who didn't know this trick, but
just in case not, I thought I'd pass it along.
Norm B

Not sure of the exact nature of the body of material you were drilling, but
I have often had to redrill or saw hut a hole that is offset fromt he
original hole. I simpley cut a plug to fit the hole and glued it in place.
Then after it was set I redrilled the hole.

Your trick of nesting a saw within a saw is one I have never heard of
before, but it makes perfect sense. I will try and remember that one,
because I have had to increase the size of a knockout hole in an electrical
communications J-Box in the past. Your trick would work perfectly for this
application.
--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Necessity is the mother of clever...

:-)

Keith Hughes

Here's a rather nifty tool made especially for the purpose, it's billed
as the "Oops" hole saw arbor:

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?co...760&page=11383

wrote:
Necessity is the mother of clever...

:-)

Bob La Londe

"Keith Hughes" wrote in message
Here's a rather nifty tool made especially for the purpose, it's billed as
the "Oops" hole saw arbor:

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?co...760&page=11383

Nice.

--