Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Back-up Navigation System

I completed installation of a back-up Nav system, using the AIS SR161
receiver and the Smart Radio VHF Antenna Splitter from Milltech Marine here
in Seattle. The installation went smoothly and the owner, Doug Miller was
most helpful sorting out the mysteries of the wiring to/from the Raqvnav 300
GPS. (As was Larry from this forum).

In addition I purchased the Coastal Explorer charting software from Rose
Point Navigation Systems. Milltech offers a Coastal Explorer and SR 161
bundle; you can check it out he
http://www.milltechmarine.com/products.htm

I added a Keyspan high speed USB Serial Adapter in order to connect to my
laptop's USB port. This also works perfectly - and if I want to move the
laptop up to the cockpit I can use a 16 foot USB cable to connect to the
RS232 DB-9 connector on the instrument panel.

As a final touch - I put 3 big suction cups under the laptop to prevent it
from sliding or bouncing off the charttable - this also adds a bit of
protection against vibration...

Take a look at the installation he
http://tinyurl.com/ybdl2x

So in addition to the Raynav/Raychart setup I now have the latest electronic
Vector and Raster charts - obtained free of charge from NOAA (Very easy
download using the Coastal Explorer software).

And - by connecting the audio output from the software to the boat's speaker
system I have an audible warning of possible collisions with AIS equipped
ships as well as warnings of insufficient bridge clearances and shallow
waters etc. etc.

All in all - a very cool upgrade to the Nav system onboard.

Claus

Cheap navigation system DSK ASA 0 October 10th 06 08:22 PM
Cheap navigation system katy ASA 1 October 10th 06 07:16 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM