Default Cat, Ketch rig.

Howdy:
I remember when the Freedom 40 first came out with a free standing cat, ketch setup, and
in a article I read, it said that it was fairly fast, but I think that it said that it did not sail as
close wind as a standard rig. Is that because of the jib? If so, does anybody think that
some kind of pivoting "slot" at the leading edge could work? I'm thinking of a slot sail
maybe 6 to 8 feet wide.

--

SeeYaa Harbin Osteen KG6URO

When American Citizens with dual citizenship pledges allegiance
to the flag, to which flag do they pledge allegiance too?

-

In article ,
"Harbin Osteen" wrote:

I remember when the Freedom 40 first came out with a free standing
cat, ketch setup, and in a article I read, it said that it was fairly
fast, but I think that it said that it did not sail as close wind as
a standard rig. Is that because of the jib? If so, does anybody think
that some kind of pivoting "slot" at the leading edge could work? I'm
thinking of a slot sail maybe 6 to 8 feet wide.

No ketch will be really close-winded compared to a good sloop, but the
Freedom does pretty well.

Years ago, our dinghy sailing club had a free-for-all fun race, all
fleets starting at the same time. I was astounded that all of the Lasers
--cat rigged-- outpointed the best of all the other fleets.

Since, I've realized that it's more efficient to have a single tall sail
than multiple smaller sails. BUT, that doesn't give as easy flexibility
in varying winds, so people build and buy sloops and ketches and cutters
and such.

If you like the boat, buy it. Don't second-guess the pretty good naval
engineer that did the original work. That said, I believe they went to a
more standard rig later.

The Freedom is another good boat for that guy looking for a boat for his
older father, BTW.

--
Jere Lull

Another advantage to the Freedom is the totally self tending rig.

You can tack through an anchorage with out putting down your drink!

The (fairly) famous racer Frog Kiss, a Freedom 44 (same rig as the 40),
added a small "jiblet" on a carbonfiber pole from the bow. I believe he
talked about it adding speed and pointing ability. That boat is
currently for sale and you could probably read a bit about it on
yachtworld.

The newer (mid-80s on) Freedoms are cat sloops and point better than
the cat ketches.

I hate ketches but I'd consider owning a Freedom cat ketch.

Frank

"Frank" wrote in message oups.com...
The (fairly) famous racer Frog Kiss, a Freedom 44 (same rig as the 40),
added a small "jiblet" on a carbonfiber pole from the bow. I believe he
talked about it adding speed and pointing ability. That boat is
currently for sale and you could probably read a bit about it on
yachtworld.

The newer (mid-80s on) Freedoms are cat sloops and point better than
the cat ketches.

I hate ketches but I'd consider owning a Freedom cat ketch.

Frank

Yep, went look for it, and found it. I really do like this boat, but could
never afford one. Here is the link for those that don't know what a Freedom
40 looks like:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1609120/0

"Harbin Osteen" wrote in news:xYSdnc_
:

When American Citizens with dual citizenship pledges allegiance
to the flag, to which flag do they pledge allegiance too?

Israel.

Harbin Osteen wrote:
"Frank" ...
The (fairly) famous racer Frog Kiss, a Freedom 44 (same rig as the 40),
added a small "jiblet" on a carbonfiber pole from the bow. I believe he
talked about it adding speed and pointing ability. That boat is
currently for sale and you could probably read a bit about it on
yachtworld.
The newer (mid-80s on) Freedoms are cat sloops and point better than
the cat ketches.
I hate ketches but I'd consider owning a Freedom cat ketch.

Yep, went look for it, and found it. I really do like this boat, but could
never afford one. Here is the link for those that don't know what a Freedom
40 looks like: [N.B. this is a 44, not a 40]
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1609120/0

Be aware that the underbody of the 44 differs significantly from that
of the 40. The 40 is very full and features a centerboard. The 44's
underbody has much less wetted surface and a fixed keel.

Just FYI,

Frank

# 75 Freedom Cat Ketch Bart Senior ASA 4 November 5th 05 05:23 PM
FS-Wauquiez Amphitrite 43 FT. Ketch - in Cocoa Beach, Fl Dennis Marketplace 0 October 26th 05 08:34 PM
Tahiti Ketch forum underway clyderigged Boat Building 1 January 10th 05 10:13 PM
Tahiti Ketch forum is underway clyderigged Cruising 0 January 8th 05 07:35 PM
FS: Beautiful 43' Garden Ketch in Oxford MD. Chuck Marketplace 0 July 11th 03 07:58 PM