Default Cruising Spinnaker Question ..

I am purchasing a cruising spinnaker second hand. I have never used one
before. I looked up on the net and the pictures I saw showed a piece of
wrap that goes around the forestay and the furled up jib which is on the
forestay.

This is so the tack of the cruising spinnaker is up and high enough to clear
the bow rail, I suppose.

Where can a buy that wrap piece?

Does the tack have an extension to it so that the sail is off the deck at
the bow?

I haven't seen this sail yet, going down this weekend..

Thanks,,

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 22:43:31 GMT, "NE Sailboat"
wrote:

I am purchasing a cruising spinnaker second hand. I have never used one
before. I looked up on the net and the pictures I saw showed a piece of
wrap that goes around the forestay and the furled up jib which is on the
forestay.

This is so the tack of the cruising spinnaker is up and high enough to clear
the bow rail, I suppose.

Where can a buy that wrap piece?

Several companies make them - ATN is one I like
http://www.atninc.com/tacker.html

Does the tack have an extension to it so that the sail is off the deck at
the bow?

Yes, you need a tack downhaul. The tack should be eased as you sail
further downwind and hardened as you head up. Check the article by
Neil Pryde Sails
(http://sailingsource.com/neilpryde/n...19/19-trim.htm) It is a
good intro.

Remember that if the sail gets overpowered - DO NOT HEAD UP. Bear
away and blanket the cruising spinnaker with the main.

Jack

NE Sailboat wrote:
I am purchasing a cruising spinnaker second hand. I have never used
one before. I looked up on the net and the pictures I saw showed a
piece of wrap that goes around the forestay and the furled up jib
which is on the forestay.

This is so the tack of the cruising spinnaker is up and high enough
to clear the bow rail, I suppose.

Where can a buy that wrap piece?

Does the tack have an extension to it so that the sail is off the
deck at the bow?

I haven't seen this sail yet, going down this weekend..

Thanks,,

Have a look at this snip from NG uk.rec.sailing just this morning:-

Have a look at the setup shown in this link -
http://sailingsource.com/neilpryde/n...19/19-trim.htm

Dennis.