Default Sinking at the dock from shaft seal problem

This is why I do not like the 'dripless' seals, and have not installed
one. Their faulure mode tends to be very dramatic, while the failure
mode of a good packing box is just more dripping.

-al-

DSK DSK is offline

FWIW the hi-tech dripless packings seem to be more trouble
than they're worth. A regular old-fashioned packing need not
drip when stopped (if properly packed & properly adjusted),
and the bilge should have an easily pumped sump anyway.

Larry wrote:
.... He replaced the grease packing I thought was
a damned great idea with a dripless approved one the idiots at the same
boatyard forgot to put a loop and anti-siphon on its water charging
hose...which backed up from the bearing into the Perkins 4-108 flooding 3
cylinders off Florida and hydrolocking the Perkins at Ponce Inlet, which is
great fun to sail up in a 41' ketch with the tide ripping through it so
Towboat US can get to tow you to Daytona Beach hours away.

More trouble than they're worth, I tell you.

Sometimes, this newfangled high technology fol-de-rol is
really cool.... epoxy & carbon fiber, for instance. Other
times, it's not nearly as cool as the people trying to sell
it to you claim it is

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK wrote in news:jIH%g.15885$kI6.7364
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Sometimes, this newfangled high technology fol-de-rol is
really cool.... epoxy & carbon fiber, for instance. Other
times, it's not nearly as cool as the people trying to sell
it to you claim it is

It actually is working great on Lionheart.....now that I put a shutoff
valve in the water charging line sailboats don't need.....

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

Dick Locke wrote in
:

Do you happen to know the amp draw on your alarm? I already have an
LED cockpit pilot light on my "deep do do" bilge pump and could
possibly parallel this alarm to it.

The siren at full wail draws about 8A! Just install a nice relay....coil
across the pump, contacts switching the siren-to-wake-the-dead-sleeping-
neighbors on, with the appropriate inline fuse of course.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

waterproof shaft seal? MBS Boat Building 17 December 25th 11 10:53 PM
Is problem with O-Ring Seal or Valve Body Rural Knight General 10 December 7th 04 07:39 PM
Angle of prop shaft - theoretical question. Gary Warner General 103 June 18th 04 05:32 AM
Ropes and Docking JimB Cruising 6 February 29th 04 10:06 AM
Alpha One Upper Shift Shaft Seal Tan PS General 3 January 29th 04 09:57 AM