Default Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch

Any yeas, nays, comments on an Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch?
Thanks
Gordon

Gordon inscribed in red ink for all to know:
Any yeas, nays, comments on an Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch?
Thanks
Gordon

Not on the 42, but a neighbor has a 53 that is built like a brick
s#$%house. And sails well too (it is a keel/centerboard). The 53 is a
nice boat...

bob

Gordon wrote:
Any yeas, nays, comments on an Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch?
Thanks
Gordon

Jack Horner has a review of the Irwin 37
http://www.boatus.com/jackhornor/sail/Irwin37.htm
Mike

Gordon wrote:
Any yeas, nays, comments on an Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch?
Thanks
Gordon

I don't know specifically about the 42, but I borrowed a 30 for a
summer some years back and it was the worst built boat I had ever
sailed, bar none. We would joke about which part of it was going to
fall off next, and it was only 8 years old.

I had another friend with a larger Irwin (a 37 maybe?) and he went
through similar problems, though not quite as bad.

Normally I don't bad-mouth other boats, but I'm willing to make an
exception for Irwins.

Hi Gordon,

Gordon wrote:
Any yeas, nays, comments on an Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch?
Thanks
Gordon

Opinions are going to vary on any brand of boat
you name including Irwin. There are people who
own them and swear by them, and others that swear
at them ;-)

My wife and I own a 1986 model Irwin Citation 38,
and it appears to me to be reasonably well built.
Not perfect, but reasonable. If not, I wouldn't
have bought it.

Don W.

Gordon wrote:
Any yeas, nays, comments on an Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch?
Thanks
Gordon

Irwins are one of those boats you swear on or swear at. I've always
found them cheap beyond belief, but others who seem to know their stuff
say they are well built. Beats me.

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:40:14 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Irwins are one of those boats you swear on or swear at. I've always
found them cheap beyond belief, but others who seem to know their stuff
say they are well built. Beats me.

A friend of mine owned a big Irwin 53 ketch back in the mid 90s. His
rudder broke while sailing north in the Gulf Stream one year, and they
had to be towed 200 miles into Norfolk, VA by the coast guard. Other
than that it seemed like a fairly solid boat.

In article . com,
"Mike" wrote:

Gordon wrote:
Any yeas, nays, comments on an Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch?
Thanks
Gordon

Jack Horner has a review of the Irwin 37
http://www.boatus.com/jackhornor/sail/Irwin37.htm
Mike

That may be the most negative review I've seen Jack Horner write.

--
Jere Lull

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:51:15 -0700, "Gordon"
wrote:

Any yeas, nays, comments on an Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch?
Thanks
Gordon

Having had an Irwin 37 CC and knowing a lot of other Irwin owners, I
can tell you that your question is a hard one to answer without
looking at that specific boat. The overall build quality of Irwins
varies greatly, more than most other boat brands. That's because they
didn't have very consistent (more like non-existent) quality control
(someone specificially designated to oversee the builders and make
sure they're being put together right) but they sometimes had good
people building them and sometimes not. So you might get a great boat
and you might get a dud. Fortunately I had one of the great ones. It
was very solidly built and after 25 years of some pretty hard sailing
had no major problems ... far less than many other 25 year old boats
I've seen even from some boutique brands.

No sense telling you about the specific characteristics of the 37
since the 42 is a different boat.

So my recommendation is to get it surveyed by a good suveyor and if it
comes out fairly clean (almost no older boat will come out perfect) go
for it. You'll be getting a lot of boat for the money. Irwins are
known for being good values, if you get a good one. Kind of like the
Chevy Bel Aire of sailboats.

Steve

Jere Lull wrote:

In article . com,
"Mike" wrote:

Gordon wrote:
Any yeas, nays, comments on an Irwin 42 center cockpit ketch?
Thanks
Gordon

What year?

Jack Horner has a review of the Irwin 37
http://www.boatus.com/jackhornor/sail/Irwin37.htm
Mike

That may be the most negative review I've seen Jack Horner write.

I am prejudiced against Irwin (without having any real experience with them
at all) because in the mid 70s, CSY contracted with Irwin to build boats
for them. They build the first two or three CSYs. They did such a bad job
and cut so many corners that CSY bought them out of the contract.

There are Irwins which are about 40 feet that look almost exactly like CSY
44s (center cockpit) and it is only when you look at them hard that you
can see the difference. The CSY was a boat designed for living aboard in
the Caribbean, so they have a lot of good storage, and I presume the CSY
type Irwins are about the same.

CSY didn't have a lot of ketches - only the pilothouses and two of the
walk-throughs. The pilothouses are not really center cockpit.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html

Good info Sailaway Boat Building 2 June 29th 06 12:19 PM
Good info Sailaway Cruising 2 June 29th 06 12:19 PM
FS: Irwin 37 center cockpit in NY-DEAL! Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 May 3rd 06 10:10 PM
Heritage Center Cockpit Ketch - Help Ed McDermott Cruising 1 March 2nd 05 12:26 AM
FS: 41'0 Gulfstar Offshore Center Cockpit Sloop in Guatemala Velago Marketplace 0 October 11th 03 10:01 AM