Default Cushion storage on board?

Are there any informed or experienced opinions out there on storing
cushions inside a shrink wrapped boat over the winter in New England?
I知 going to have a good access and vents put in the shrink wrap and
leave the ports open. I値l be working on the boat from time to time so
it will get aired.

I have a nice dry basement but really need the space for other things
this winter. The cushions are quite new with very breathable fabric so
I would hate for them to get musty. I had tarps over the boat with
good ventilation last year and it seemed quite dry inside. Time
dictates shrink wrap this year and I would hate to get behind the
mildew curve with this nice cushion set.

--

Roger Long

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

Are there any informed or experienced opinions out there on storing
cushions inside a shrink wrapped boat over the winter in New England?
I知 going to have a good access and vents put in the shrink wrap and
leave the ports open. I値l be working on the boat from time to time so
it will get aired.

I have a nice dry basement but really need the space for other things
this winter. The cushions are quite new with very breathable fabric so
I would hate for them to get musty. I had tarps over the boat with
good ventilation last year and it seemed quite dry inside. Time
dictates shrink wrap this year and I would hate to get behind the
mildew curve with this nice cushion set.

Billy Mays sells 'Space Bags' in different sizes on TV.

Seems ideal to me.

Molesworth

Am I missing something ?? why don't you just take them home?

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Are there any informed or experienced opinions out there on storing
cushions inside a shrink wrapped boat over the winter in New England? I'm
going to have a good access and vents put in the shrink wrap and leave the
ports open. I'll be working on the boat from time to time so it will get
aired.

I have a nice dry basement but really need the space for other things this
winter. The cushions are quite new with very breathable fabric so I would
hate for them to get musty. I had tarps over the boat with good
ventilation last year and it seemed quite dry inside. Time dictates shrink
wrap this year and I would hate to get behind the mildew curve with this
nice cushion set.

--

Roger Long

Yes, you are missing something. It was explained in the original
post.

--

Roger Long

"Captain Bartholomew Martyn lll" wrote in
message news:BATYg.3201$Z46.202@trndny05...

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Are there any informed or experienced opinions out there on storing
cushions inside a shrink wrapped boat over the winter in New
England? I'm going to have a good access and vents put in the
shrink wrap and leave the ports open. I'll be working on the boat

"Roger Long" wrote:

Are there any informed or experienced opinions out there on storing
cushions inside a shrink wrapped boat over the winter in New England?
I知 going to have a good access and vents put in the shrink wrap and
leave the ports open. I値l be working on the boat from time to time so
it will get aired.

I have a nice dry basement but really need the space for other things
this winter. The cushions are quite new with very breathable fabric so
I would hate for them to get musty. I had tarps over the boat with
good ventilation last year and it seemed quite dry inside. Time
dictates shrink wrap this year and I would hate to get behind the
mildew curve with this nice cushion set.

In the Middle Atlantic, most people take the cushions home as the
closed-in boat will get musty from condensation and very low airflow.

Do you have a garage? I'd prefer to put mine up in the rafters, wrapped
in plastic, than leave them in the boat.

Alternate: put a dehumidifier in the boat, draining through, say, the
open knotlog through-hull.

--
Jere Lull

Jere Lull wrote:
In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

[...]

I have a storage problem too. Right now I'm storing for myself, mom,
and two grown sons...one who is working out west.
I'll just throw my 8 boat cushions up on top of something in the
basement, rather than leave them on the boat or out in an unheated shed.

Don White wrote:
Jere Lull wrote:
In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

Are there any informed or experienced opinions out there on storing
cushions inside a shrink wrapped boat over the winter in New England?
I'm going to have a good access and vents put in the shrink wrap and
leave the ports open. I'll be working on the boat from time to time so
[...]

I've always stored them in the boat stacked on end, rather than laying
down like they would normally be used. It keeps moisture from
collecting underneath them, no moisture, no mold. I've never had a
problem like this, but the cabin must be well ventalated, so make sure
you have plenty of air flow, but no place for water to get in. It also
hepls to check the boat now and then, just in case. You'd be surprised
at how many boats up on land fill up with rain water or melted snow. If
you catch it early, it's just one bad day fixing the problem, if left
for a few months, call the insurance company.

John

The only problem I've found with storing my boat cushions in my nice dry
basement is that it doesn't take long for my nice dry basement to start
smelling like my boat. I don't necessarily mind that, but my wife sure
does. :-)
Mike
Pearson 28-2

"Capt John" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don White wrote:
Jere Lull wrote:
In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

[...]

"Mike McNamee" wrote in

The only problem I've found with storing my boat cushions in my nice
dry basement is that it doesn't take long for my nice dry basement
to start smelling like my boat.

That was my experience last year. It was nice to open up that closet
and have those memories but it did make me wish the boat smelled
better.

I found a leak in a loose fuel sender at the top of the diesel tank
early in the season. No diesel smell this year. I also went down and
opened up the ports and skylights every day I could and was careful
about turning the cushions up and otherwise keeping everything aired
out. Spending a lot of nights on the boat at the dock also helped.

When I put the cushions in the closet last week, not a hint of boat
smell.

--

Roger Long