Skip Gundlach

Default Calling Tampa area sailors

Hi, Doug, and Group,

"DSK" wrote in message

I'm glad to see that you all have found a boat that will suit, and am

curious
what it is. Here's a word of friendly advice (from someone who made offers

on
five boats before coming home with one)... don't get tunnel vision that

you
*have* to have this boat or that it's worth $XX. It's only worth what

somebody
will pay for it... in this case, you... and there are tens of thousands of

boats
out there for sale (sorry to be depressing for those with boats for sale).

It's a Gulfstar44MkII, in great shape generally (or at least as can be
expected for a 20 year old boat).

We're doing a lowball, of necessity due to budget. We *think* we're very
disciplined WRT all this (those following our search should have a feel for
that by this time; Lydia'd have had us offer on many boats already, and this
is the first I've even seriously considered); I'm *very* aware of bracket
creep, especially as the acceptance gets further along the process and am
steeled against same. (I'm the beady eyed bean counter with the tight fist,
having grown up squeezing the nickel so hard the Indian grunts, so I *think*
I'm OK here!)

In the course of my due diligence, I have talked to two other brokers who
knew this boat, one of them very well, having had a prospect for whom he
located this specific boat, along with many other GS44s; they made an offer
on it (and _surveyed_ and walked from *4* other GS44s!!) but eventually
wound up buying a GS47. So, I think I have a reasonably good picture of
what's up with this boat, and how to find others (this is the only one so
far which fits us both - as noted in "THE SEARCH" thread, there may well be
others, but we've not found any, yet) should this deal not make it.

Thanks again for those responding to this thread, and for all those
supporting us in our Quixotic Quest :{))

L8R

Skip and Lydia

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you are
quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to you that in the
general scheme of things you are merely an insignificant speck on the
surface of the ocean; and are not nearly so important or as self-sufficient
as you thought you were. Which is an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one
that may effect a permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly
appreciated by your friends."- James S. Pitkin