Edward Greeley

Default Calling Tampa area sailors

This time of year, anywhere on the Gulf (of Mexico), one must beware of
the scattered afternoon hurricanes! A lot more likely are the "scattered
afternoon thundershowers" or squalls that pop up nearly daily. Those can
be anywhere from moderately aggravating to downright dangerous if one is
not a weatherwise sailor and prepared. A lightning strike on your
aluminum mast can be very, very exciting indeed!
Frank and Ronnie Maier

"Skip Gundlach" wrote:...
We're inching toward an offer on a large sailboat in the Tampa area. Of
course, we'd want a serious and thorough sea trial.

What's the general sea condition/wind this time of year, and later, say,
through October? Is it way calm, like someone who used to live in Sarasota
sez, or, out on the Gulf, doesn't matter?

Hey, Skip,

So is this a Gulfstar 44 or did you discover some other design which
works for y'all?

Anyway, you should be in luck, in terms of a decent sea trial. Typical
Gulf weather pattern this time of year is an afternoon rainstorm.
There'll probably be light air before and/or after but a nice strong
blow which comes up quickly with the rain.

This'll allow you to see how she performs in light and heavy air, see
where the leaks are, and see how easy she is to reef and shake out a
reef, all in a single afternoon's sail. perfect conditions for a sea
trial.

See ya,

Frank
Skip Gundlach

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. We've decided that relying on
variable to nonexistent, with the hopes of thunderstorms, winds is not a
valid modus for us to do a sea/sail trial when we live 500 miles from the
boat.

So, we're making an offer for a delayed closing with their ability to
continue to show the boat and kick out our stipulation for a delayed sea
trial prior to survey (with opportunity for us to remove the limitation by
either backing off or going on a sail/trial immediately). Once I've heard
from my broker (selling, there's a listing one as well) about my proposed
stipulations/rider, I'll let you know how we're doing in the offer.

Thanks, again, all.

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you are

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
link.net...
We're inching toward an offer on a large sailboat in the Tampa area. Of
course, we'd want a serious and thorough sea trial.

What's the general sea condition/wind this time of year, and later, say,
through October? Is it way calm, like someone who used to live in

Sarasota
sez, or, out on the Gulf, doesn't matter?

If the majority of the time is spent motoring, or drifting, I don't think
I'll learn much. OTOH, if one starts early, getting the zephyrs and

puffs,
and it builds to not less than double digit knot winds pretty reliably,
during the day, we'd have a good spectrum of how she handles. Best would

be
some serious weather including some heavy rain, in order to better observe
leaks, of which there are some known, already :{))

Thanks for any local knowledge.

L8R

Skip