MLapla4120

Default Anybody out there ever painted 'starboard'?

Hi,
I'm going to use use Starboard to replace my wooden (teak) rudder cheeks
that are starting to rot. I'd like to replace them with starboard for
low-maintainence reasons, but since the colors it comes in is limited, I wanted
to have them painted forest green. Is this material paintable?

Thanks,
Mark
S/V Tranquility

Hi Mark,

I haven't tried to paint Starboard, but I don't believe paints will readily
stick to it. I would ask the source at: http://www.kingstarboard.com/ .
Keep in mind that the coefficient of expansion for Starboard is much
different from wood.

S/V Tranquility

LaBomba182

Subject: Anybody out there ever painted 'starboard'?

Is this material paintable?

Thanks,
Mark

I don't believe so.

Capt. Bill
JayCeeCG

HI, NOTHING sticks to starboard. even 5200 which sticks to ANYTHING normally.
I'd seal your teak rudder cheeks with epoxy and paint them with single part
polyurethane, touch up as needed. Starboard is not the strongest stuff in the
world either.

Jed

Hi,
I'm going to use use Starboard to replace my wooden (teak) rudder cheeks
that are starting to rot. I'd like to replace them with starboard for
low-maintainence reasons, but since the colors it comes in is limited, I
wanted
to have them painted forest green. Is this material paintable?

Thanks,
Mark

Jared Crane

MLapla4120

Hi,
I'm going back to the idea of making new
ones from teak.
Thanks for the info,
Mark

Karin Conover-Lewis

Krylon makes a new paint which bonds molecularly to plastic. I don't know if
this will work with HDPE (Starboard et al), and their website is mighty
short on details -- but if anything is going to work, it would probably be
Krylon "Fusion."

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959