DSK DSK is offline

Default Silverton 38 Sport Bridge

That depends on how they go boating. A lot of people enjoy
being the objects of attention, so they get very loud flashy
boats and operate in such a way that they interfere with
other people's enjoyment. Other people have short attention
spans and little tolerance for following procedure. Both of
these groups of people should be in a video game parlor, not
out on the water. We'd all be happier & safer.

Bill Kearney wrote:
Ah so now we get to the crux of the issue. I say bull****. You're
basically crowing some sort of elitist nonsense.

Not at all.
I'm saying that people who want to jump up & down screaming
"LOOK AT ME-E-E-EEEE!!" should not expect a boat to satisfy
their urges. Attempts to do so will only lead to frustration
and will also irritate (not to mention endanger) other boaters.

What of the sailor that thinks it's a good idea to try going in/out of Ego
Alley whilst undersail?

Not particularly a good idea, however I have done it many
times in a boat that HAD NO MOTOR AT ALL so clearly you
cannot expect everybody to go around in a stinkpot just to
suit your own convenience.

You're basically chanting the same, tired elitist nonsense sailors have
tried using for years.

Not at all. You're just PO'd because I am pointing out that
your type of sport is wasteful, noisy, burns money (althoug
sailing is not exactly cheap, at least it doesn't throw
dollars out the exhaust pipe), and pollutes both the air &
water. Not to mention requiring a higher level of attention
to safety (which is often absent). And other than the skill
needed to operate safely, it requires almost no brain power
at all.

Fortunately the powerboaters can simply throttle up
and leave that behind.

Which takes exactly how much skill & IQ?? My point exactly.

Regards
Doug King

Not at all.
I'm saying that people who want to jump up & down screaming
"LOOK AT ME-E-E-EEEE!!" should not expect a boat to satisfy
their urges. Attempts to do so will only lead to frustration
and will also irritate (not to mention endanger) other boaters.

Hmmm, I'm not convinced. That sounds more like trying to duck out of the
stupid comments.

What of the sailor that thinks it's a good idea to try going in/out of

Ego
Alley whilst undersail?

Not particularly a good idea, however I have done it many
times in a boat that HAD NO MOTOR AT ALL so clearly you
cannot expect everybody to go around in a stinkpot just to
suit your own convenience.

Uh, it's not about 'my convinience' at all. Are you even following the
thread?

You're basically chanting the same, tired elitist nonsense sailors have
tried using for years.

Not at all. You're just PO'd because I am pointing out that
your type of sport is wasteful, noisy, burns money (althoug
sailing is not exactly cheap, at least it doesn't throw
dollars out the exhaust pipe), and pollutes both the air &
water. Not to mention requiring a higher level of attention
to safety (which is often absent). And other than the skill
needed to operate safely, it requires almost no brain power
at all.

Time is money, a great many folks would prefer to spend money to save time.
We've got plenty of money but time's always short. Thus for us any many
like us, powerboating continues to be considerably more popular than
sailing. Neither sport's any "better" than the other, each is just suited
for different needs/desires. Waking up and going about your day is
"wasteful". If you've got that much guilt about your actions then sailing's
the least of your worries.

As for brain power, having to constantly fiddle with sailing a boat doesn't
make one any smarter. Sure, you've got to take a whole bunch of things into
consideration in order to have the boat actually get somewhere. That you
want to equate that with IQ is laughable, at best.

Fortunately the powerboaters can simply throttle up
and leave that behind.

Which takes exactly how much skill & IQ?? My point exactly.

Your point? You've made such a pathetic argument there really isn't a
point. I'd quote IQ numbers to you but I get the impression I'd be making
you look like more of an idiot than you've already done yourself.

For us it was a simple choice. We work, we're not retired and would like to
enjoy a number of different places on the Bay. We've limited time (mainly
weekends) to do it. A good number of times we'd be bringing clients along.
The last point was the single biggest reason not to go with a sailboat.
Having to put your clients to work, or risk YELLING at them as they're about
to get brained by the boom isn't exactly conducive to maintaining a good
relationship.

I think sailing's a great way to enjoy the water, and so's powerboating.
Why sailors insist on flogging their sport as "better" is pointless. It
doesn't work for everyone, so give it a rest.

-Bill Kearney

DSK DSK is offline

Bill Kearney wrote:
Hmmm, I'm not convinced. That sounds more like trying to duck out of the
stupid comments.

Stupid is in the eye of the beholder. My comments were right
on the money.

What of the sailor that thinks it's a good idea to try going in/out of

Ego
Alley whilst undersail?

Not particularly a good idea, however I have done it many
times in a boat that HAD NO MOTOR AT ALL so clearly you
cannot expect everybody to go around in a stinkpot just to
suit your own convenience.

Uh, it's not about 'my convinience' at all. Are you even following the
thread?

Yes, are you?

You are the one who complained about sailboaters "abusing"
their right-of-way and sailboats going under sail (gasp)
places where you might have to look out for them.

Is that not a matter of inconvenience to you?

Time is money, a great many folks would prefer to spend money to save time.

True.

We've got plenty of money but time's always short.

Lucky you.

It's also a matter of perception & priorities... you have
exactly the same amount of time I do, 24 hours in a day and
7 days in a week.

... Thus for us any many
like us, powerboating continues to be considerably more popular than
sailing. Neither sport's any "better" than the other,

I didn't say sailing was better, just that it takes more
applied brainpower.

As for brain power, having to constantly fiddle with sailing a boat doesn't
make one any smarter.

True. I would not say that sailors on average are provably
smarter than motorboaters, just that they are people who
enjoy using their brains more... or at least exercising a
skill which requires conscious thought....

Your point? You've made such a pathetic argument there really isn't a
point.

Really? Then what are you mad about?

For us it was a simple choice. We work, we're not retired and would like to
enjoy a number of different places on the Bay. We've limited time (mainly
weekends) to do it.

What a stupid idea. You could get there faster by driving.

The last point was the single biggest reason not to go with a sailboat.
Having to put your clients to work, or risk YELLING at them as they're about
to get brained by the boom isn't exactly conducive to maintaining a good
relationship.

Do you think that sailing necessarily involves yelling?

I think sailing's a great way to enjoy the water, and so's powerboating.
Why sailors insist on flogging their sport as "better" is pointless.

Did I say anything about "better"? You OTOH have whined
quite a lot about sailors & sailboats.

... It
doesn't work for everyone, so give it a rest.

You brought it up.

DSK

Dougy is just here to stir up ****. That's his hobby. Did he mention
that HIS boat is a power boat? I guess he's not all that honest,
either!

Of course, that explains his guilt complex.
DSK DSK is offline

Dougy is just here to stir up ****. That's his hobby.

And your hobby is??

.... Did he mention
that HIS boat is a power boat?

I have never concealed that one of my boats is a power boat.
In fact I have proudly posted links to pics of it, right in
this newsgroup, many times.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/93684773IwAbxX

Bill Kearney wrote:
Of course, that explains his guilt complex.

What am I supposedly guilty of?

DSK

DSK DSK is offline

wrote:
Nice boat, Doug!

Thanks!

DSK

Ocean Sport Boats Chuck Gould General 1 September 13th 06 05:37 PM
A wireless (no wires to the computer) wifi solution? (very long) Skip Gundlach Cruising 3 August 10th 06 03:29 PM
A wireless (no wires to the computer) wifi solution? (very long) Skip Gundlach Electronics 3 August 10th 06 03:29 PM
On topic- observations aboard the 39 Silverton [email protected] General 17 May 17th 05 05:27 AM
Chesapeake Cruise Harlan Lachman Cruising 51 October 25th 04 01:12 AM