Jim B

Default cleaning water tank

1. Prepare a chlorine solution using one gallon of water and 1/2 cup (4
oz) Clorox or Purex household bleach (5-7% sodium Hypochlorine
solution). With tank empty, pour chlorine solution into tank. Use one
gallon of solution for each 5 gallons of tank capacity.

Just so us Europeans can get it right Peggie:

5-7% household bleach, NOT 'thickened bleach' or other 'enhanced' bleach
products which the marketers have felt necessary to distinguish their
products. Look out for the labelling 'safe for potable water' or the warning
'not to be used in potable water systems'. In Europe, if neither labelling
is present, treat the product with suspicion.

And since I'm not sure about the size of your cups, or even the volume of
your ounces (we used to have two sorts of ounces - fluid and weight - but
your American ounces may be different from either!) I assume your initial
solution is 1:50, diluted eventually to 1:250, which is the working
dilution. Right?
--
Jim B, Yacht RAPAZ,
Summers in the Med, winters in UK

Famous Amos Moses®

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:43:41 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Simplified calculation: use a pint (2 cups or 500 mililiters) of bleach
in 25 gallons...a quart (4 cups or 1,0000 ml) in 50 gallons, double that
amount in 100 gallons...you should be able to take it from there.

Or....for even more simplified calculations

For every gallon of tankage give 3 glugs from the jug.

For every 3 liters of tankage give 1 glug.

If, when you run the water through the pipes it smells as if you've
added too little;...add more.

If it smells as if you've added too dad-gummed much, and not only have
you ruined your water system and the environment by dumping that much
chlorine into the system, and you've wasted your money....It might be
the right amount....or you did in fact screw it all up.

Leave it for the "right" amount of time, or overnight...depending on
if you "over-cated" or not.

At some point it all depends on how picky one is, and the level at
which one assume risk and responsibility.
Famous Amos Moses®

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:40:31 -0400, Famous Amos Moses®
wrote:

At some point it all depends on how picky one is, and the level at
which one assume risk and responsibility.

....oh,....and, how dirty the tank was to begin with....

Sorry for interuption.....please resume your conversation.
Jim B

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message

Just so us Europeans can get it right Peggie:

5-7% household bleach,

Correct. Plain ol' household bleach.

Look out for the labelling 'safe for potable water' or the warning
'not to be used in potable water systems'.

Nope...all household bleach will carry a warning that it's not for
consumption. If it were safe to drink the concentrations necessary to
kill the "critters," it wouldn't kill the critters.

Thanks to you and others for translating the impenetrable volume measures we
handed to the USA on independence! I do prefer the simple decimal system.
There's less for my aged brain to remember.

Yes, all bleaches are labelled 'not for consumption' - or should be.

In Europe it is now becoming harder to find 'plain old household bleach'.
Certainly, no brands call themselves that. Marketing pressures have created
a large number of other products (generically - thickened bleach) which have
added perfumes, scents, detergents etc etc. , and most still call themselves
'Household bleach'. Some are labelled 'unsafe for water purification', 'not
to be used with potable water systems', but not all are.

Some of the 'plain old household bleach' brands are labelled as 'safe to use
with potable water', 'safe to use in water systems'. In Greece these are
important products where the main source of water is the household cistern -
collecting rainwater and storing it for half a year. I think their biggest
use in UK is cleaning beer pumping pipes in pubs and washing out fish market
stalls!
--
Jim B, Yacht RAPAZ,
Summers in the Med, winters in UK
jim[dot]baerselman[at]ntlworld[dot]com

Water tank vent overboard or bilge orbital General 17 June 29th 04 10:56 PM
fuel tank cleaning kozmo6969 General 3 June 11th 04 07:00 PM
Water systems on my boat - need suggestions, please. Adam Boat Building 10 May 10th 04 03:53 PM
cleaning water tank - For Peggie Hall Florida Keyz Cruising 6 August 8th 03 02:52 AM