Default Solar Distillation, was UV water purifiers

Keith Hughes wrote in news:450f607a$0$10296
:

Uhmmm...if you use the carbon before the still, they are not there to
carryover are they? With the added benefit of chlorine removal, which
is plus for life of stainless steel (assuming you're not trying to
distill seawater, that is).

The trouble with prefilters is capacity. Lots of stuff the distiller is
great at removing, like chlorine and the other additives the government
bureaucrats are trying to poison our children with, like flourine, will
soon consume your activated carbon filter. The filter on the distilled
water side lasts for months without losing effectiveness because there is
so little pollutants consuming the carbon. Most of the pollutants the
prefilter would be consumed by, I simply flush out of the boiler for the
next load.

My reference to "beast" is a comparison rating of how much kitchen floor
space it consumes...more than my water cooler. Just something else to
walk around. Over the years, I've found it much better to use the little
countertop unit, one gallon at a time. I punch the START button as I'm
on my way to bed and let it warm the house at night, of course not in the
South Carolina summer when the house overwarms itself. Garage benches
make wonderful distiller locations out of the air conditioner zones. In
winter, the beast will heat my whole place as long as you leave it
running, conserving energy. It also loses much more steam than the
countertop units do, so it makes the house have that warm, humid feeling.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

Larry wrote in news:Xns9843578EFEF11noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

Uhmmm...if you use the carbon before the still, they are not there to
carryover are they? With the added benefit of chlorine removal, which
is plus for life of stainless steel (assuming you're not trying to
distill seawater, that is).

The MDs, including ones here say:
http://www.medical-library.net/sites...led_water.html

Of course, if you're in the deionizer or stupid filter biz, you say:
http://www.betterwayhealth.com/rever...stilled-water-
filters.asp
which is the exact opposite of what the medical professionals say.

http://www.aquasana.com/Product_which.cfm
Read this hot one from the filter boys.....(c;
I'll make any of them a deal......
1) We'll take all the men from the audience, because of the built-in
taps, and let 'em fill my distiller, your RO tank and any of the filter
boys with guts enough to drink human urine.

2) We'll each "process" our water with our different devices.

3) We'll drink what comes out, all of it.

4) We'll watch the filter boys throw up, even the RO filter boys....(c;

NOTHING produces pure water like steam distillation followed by a simple
activated carbon filter filled with carbon from the fish tank department
at Walmart....

RO is a FILTER. Filters filter out molecules down to a specific size.
Everything smaller flows on through the membrane. Get over it.

I watched it done. I drank the distilled. It tasted just like WATER!

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

Larry wrote in news:Xns9843578EFEF11noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

Uhmmm...if you use the carbon before the still, they are not there to
carryover are they? With the added benefit of chlorine removal, which
is plus for life of stainless steel (assuming you're not trying to
distill seawater, that is).

Argonne National Laboratory has solved the RO filter problem! They distill
the RO output....(c;

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem00223.htm

"The industrial R.O. system I monitored at my last position
produced water that conformed to USP specifications, but we also distilled
the R.O. water for lab work. Some analyses require freshly distilled water
(hasn't drawn carbon dioxide from the air)."

Larry wrote:
Larry wrote in news:Xns9843578EFEF11noonehomecom@
208.49.80.253:

Uhmmm...if you use the carbon before the still, they are not there to
carryover are they? With the added benefit of chlorine removal, which
is plus for life of stainless steel (assuming you're not trying to
distill seawater, that is).

Argonne National Laboratory has solved the RO filter problem! They distill
the RO output....(c;

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem00223.htm

"The industrial R.O. system I monitored at my last position
produced water that conformed to USP specifications,

Which means exactly nothing. USP specs for what? Potable water? Purified
Water? WFI? Sterile WFI? Water for Irrigation? Each has specific
compendial requirements.

but we also distilled
the R.O. water for lab work. Some analyses require freshly distilled water
(hasn't drawn carbon dioxide from the air)."

Actually, I've never seen a still in lab use in pharmaceuticals.
Typically they use UF systems like a Millipore MilliQ.

None of which however, has anything to do with the point. Carbon
upstream of distillation does *everything* it could do downstream, as
far as removal goes, and does so without microbial concerns.

As for "solving" the RO filter problem, that's *OLD* hat. Been working
with manufacturing various compendial waters, including WFI (water for
injection) for 25 years and yes, distillation is the last step (although
double pass RO may be used, from a compendial perspective, it isn't in
practice).

Carbon beds are always in the front end, never the back end. Then
RO/IEx/EDI, or a combination thereof, in the middle.

Keith Hughes

Larry wrote:

[...]

You still got it backwards...whatever you do *after* distillation will
introduce *some* form of contamination. Gauranteed. 'Course maybe you
like the taste of carbon fines.

RO is a FILTER. Filters filter out molecules down to a specific size.
Everything smaller flows on through the membrane. Get over it.

Get over what? You're the one harping on filters. Were you stung by an
RO unit as a child perhaps? This was a carbon before or after
distillation discussion.

I watched it done. I drank the distilled. It tasted just like WATER!

And?

Keith Hughes