Default battery storage, remove or not ??

Is it necessary to remove the batteries in the boat for winter storage? I'm
thinking: remove and store in garage ( cold there ). Leave in boat ( cold
there ).

So, why remove?

"Dave" wrote

Where is it easier to give them a charge?

I think a better question is:

I something goes wrong with the charging process and the batteries
bubble over, explode, whatever, where would you rather it happen?

--

Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
news
"Dave" wrote

Where is it easier to give them a charge?

I think a better question is:

I something goes wrong with the charging process and the batteries bubble
over, explode, whatever, where would you rather it happen?

--

Roger Long

In someone else's garage.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG wrote:
"Roger Long" wrote in message
news
"Dave" wrote

Where is it easier to give them a charge?

I think a better question is:

I something goes wrong with the charging process and the batteries bubble
over, explode, whatever, where would you rather it happen?

--

Roger Long

In someone else's garage.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

I've got 8D batteries in my boat. I fill them up, charge them, leave
them connected, and check on the boat. You would be surprised at just
how many boats on land fill up with rain water, or melted snow, over
the winter if you have no drain plug to pull out.

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
Is it necessary to remove the batteries in the boat for winter storage?
I'm thinking: remove and store in garage ( cold there ). Leave in boat
( cold there ).

So, why remove?

If they discharge and it gets cold enough the electrolyte can freeze and
crack the cases. If your boat is going to have electricity over the winter
and you have the batteries connected to a charger I'd leave them on the
boat. Maybe you would need lights on the boat at some time or battery power
for some other reason.
If they are not going to be on a charger while in the boat I'd take them
home and put them on a charger once a month to top up.

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:53:55 GMT, "Gordon Wedman"
wrote:

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
Is it necessary to remove the batteries in the boat for winter storage?
I'm thinking: remove and store in garage ( cold there ). Leave in boat
( cold there ).

So, why remove?

If they discharge and it gets cold enough the electrolyte can freeze and
crack the cases. If your boat is going to have electricity over the winter
and you have the batteries connected to a charger I'd leave them on the
boat. Maybe you would need lights on the boat at some time or battery power

I have a small solar panel connected during winter. 2-5 watt panel
need no regulator, just make sure there is a diode in series to
prevent discharge. And a fuse of course.

Here in Finland we are as far north as Alaska, meaning there is little
daylight during winter months. And temperature well below freezing. My
small panel facing south gives 100...200 mA charge perhaps 1-2 hours
daily in Dec-Feb. Enough to keep two 100 Ah batteries from
discharging. Batteries fully charged when spring comes

Recommend solar panel! I will never again bother to remove batteries
for winter or hook up AC power just to use a battery charger for a
day.

Mika

Haluatko lähettää postia? Vaihda osoitteen
eka (vai oliko se toka?) numero vitonen numeroksi
kahdeksan...

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Is it necessary to remove the batteries in the boat for winter storage? I'm
thinking: remove and store in garage ( cold there ). Leave in boat ( cold
there ).

So, why remove?

I leave the batteries on, but make sure they can get a trickle from
the solar panels. My 4 Trojan T105's got replaced after six years
because illness prevented me from checking all winter. However, I was
able to get them for $70 each from a golf cart dealer. If I thought I
wouldn't be able to check on the boat I wouldn't leave the batteries in.

The two starter batteries I replaced with AGM starting batteries,
Optima red tops bought at the Pep Boys for about $110 each. (Early
this summer I turned off the combiner because it was "chattering" and
one of the AGM's didn't get a charge for two months. It was still
starting the engine a few days ago.)

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in news:nyALg.20417$%_1.9062
@trndny07:

winter storage?

Winter?

STORAGE??!

How silly....(c;

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
Is it necessary to remove the batteries in the boat for winter storage?
So, why remove?

Why remove ... so there's a spare charged battery in the basement that
-55 C cold morning I forgot to plug in the block heater and the Jeep
won't start.