Vito

Default Macerator installation ... Help, Peggy ...

Peggie Hall wrote:

However, whether the boat should even HAVE a macerator or any other pump
to dump the tank depends on whether the boat is in coastal waters that
provide immediate access to open sea...'cuz it's illegal to dump a tank
in ANY US waters....only when at least 3 miles out to sea. ...

Hi Peggy, pleased to meet you.
Our new old boat has a CG approved electronic system for treating sewage
that I was told allowed us to dump inside the 3-mile limit (Cheasapeake
Bay) but I'm more than a little dubious about dumping anywhere there
isn't out-to-sea current (like in my slip). We're still refitting so
haven't used the head at all but plan to live aboard soon. I'd like to
add a tank to store sewage til we could either pump it out at a dockside
station or dump in deep water via the purifier, but dunno how to get
(pump?) the sewage from the tank into the purifier. The pump on the head
does that now. Suggestions?

TIA
Howard
Joe Wood

See Figure #1A of this document:

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...4phiiv0102.pdf

In the diagram add an extra Y-valve between the pumpout line and the
Lectra-San input.

Joe Wood

Vito wrote:
Peggie Hall wrote:

[...]

Peggie Hall

Hi Peggy, pleased to meet you.

HI Vito...same here.

Our new old boat has a CG approved electronic system for treating sewage
that I was told allowed us to dump inside the 3-mile limit (Cheasapeake
Bay) but I'm more than a little dubious about dumping anywhere there
isn't out-to-sea current (like in my slip).

The system you have is a Lectra/San, you needn't have any qualms about
discharging it in the slip or anywhere else...'cuz the discharge is
actually cleaner than the water in any marina. It's important that you
know how it works, and how to operate and maintain it properly, though.
If you didn't get the owners manual with it, you'll find all the specs
and even the owners manual for it on the Raritan website at
http://www.raritaneng.com

We're still refitting so
haven't used the head at all but plan to live aboard soon. I'd like to
add a tank to store sewage til we could either pump it out at a dockside
station or dump in deep water via the purifier, but dunno how to get
(pump?) the sewage from the tank into the purifier. The pump on the head
does that now. Suggestions?

That plan won't work. The Lectra/San can only handle a maximum input of
1 gallon per treatment cycle...so there's no way to dump a tank through
it. I agree that you do need at least a small (10-15 gallon) tank in
addition to the Lectra/San, but only for use if/when you visit a "no
discharge" harbor. There are only two of those on the entire Bay, btw,
and both are very small--Herring Bay and the Northern Coastal Bays (see
the MD DNR info at http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/pumpout/ndz.pdf)

The only way to empty the tank if you ever have to use it is via
pumpout. 'Cuz even if the waste going into the tank has been through the
treatment device first, once it goes into the tank it's no longer
treated waste. Reason: the Lectra/San does reduce the bacteria count to
5/100 mililiter--and often to -0-...but only one of the little buggers
has to survive and multiply inside the tank to send the bacteria count
soaring way above legal limits again...and that happens very quickly in
hot weather.

So what you need to do is install a y-valve in the head discharge line
that allows you to choose between going into the tank or overboard. The
tank needs only a direct line to a deck pumpout fitting.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Peggie Hall

Joe Wood wrote:
See Figure #1A of this document:

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...4phiiv0102.pdf

In the diagram add an extra Y-valve between the pumpout line and the
Lectra-San input.

It won't work, Joe...there's no way to dump a tank through the
Lectra/San 'cuz it can only handle a maximum input of 1 gallon at a
time, and each treatment cycle is 2.5 minutes long.

Theoretically, it's POSSIBLE...it's just totally impractical. First,
you'd have to have a means of limiting the flow from the tank to 1
gallon at a time. Then, release a gallon...run the Lectra/San (2.5
minute treatment cycle time)...release another gallon...run the
Lectra/San (another 2.5 minutes). The unit isn't designed to run
continuously, so after treating the 3rd gallon, wait 10-15 minutes for
the motors to cool before releasing another gallon. It would take at
least two hours just to dump a 10 gallon tank...20 gallons would take
half a day! So it makes no sense whatever to even consider it.

Peggie

Peggie Hall wrote:

[...]

WF

Default Macerator installation

Thank you all for your ideas / feedback. Never occurred to me to
check vent and discharge lines ... that'll be my first step. Sludge
should not be the problem; although the boat is old, the tank is
fairly "clean". Valves duly noted. Hopefully, I'll sort this out
without having to spring for a brand-new Sealand pump! Thanks again!!