Vince LoRusso

Default Rename Boat with Lucky Name

I'm not really superstitious but the last 2 boats I changed the name
of sunk. How does a person change the name of a boat without
aggravating the marine Gods?
Blue Turtle

Very interesting: I, too, sank mine after changing the name (Shalmar to
Aiki). Indeed, she hit a reef in Indonesia and was totally lost only a few
days after receiving the new registration certificate. I didn't even have
time to paint the new name on the boat.....

Rgds

Andy W
UK

"Vince LoRusso" wrote in message
om...
I'm not really superstitious but the last 2 boats I changed the name
of sunk. How does a person change the name of a boat without
aggravating the marine Gods?

Keith

Did you properly DE-name the boat first? If you don't Poseidon and the other
gods will be all confused about what boat it is, and bad things will happen.
Here are a couple of ceremonies...

http://www.sailnow.com/sail/denaming1a.html
http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

--

Keith
__
"Blue Turtle" wrote in message
Very interesting: I, too, sank mine after changing the name (Shalmar to
Aiki). Indeed, she hit a reef in Indonesia and was totally lost only a few
days after receiving the new registration certificate. I didn't even have
time to paint the new name on the boat.....

Rgds

Andy W
UK

"Vince LoRusso" wrote in message
om...
I'm not really superstitious but the last 2 boats I changed the name
of sunk. How does a person change the name of a boat without
aggravating the marine Gods?

Steve

Sounds like you guys have poor choice of boats or moorings, rather than bad
luck.

I've change boat names before without ill effect. But who knows, what good
luck might have befallen me had I left well enough alone.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Greg Sharpe

I don't know how you would prove it but I was always told you should never
change the name of a boat while it is in the water...
"Vince LoRusso" wrote in message
om...
I'm not really superstitious but the last 2 boats I changed the name
of sunk. How does a person change the name of a boat without
aggravating the marine Gods?

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM