BoatBanter.com

-   -   Rename Boat with Lucky Name (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/7355-rename-boat-lucky-name.html)

Vince LoRusso July 29th 03 12:17 PM

Rename Boat with Lucky Name

I'm not really superstitious but the last 2 boats I changed the name
of sunk. How does a person change the name of a boat without
aggravating the marine Gods?

Blue Turtle July 29th 03 01:51 PM

Rename Boat with Lucky Name

Very interesting: I, too, sank mine after changing the name (Shalmar to
Aiki). Indeed, she hit a reef in Indonesia and was totally lost only a few
days after receiving the new registration certificate. I didn't even have
time to paint the new name on the boat.....

Rgds

Andy W
UK

om...

Keith July 29th 03 02:24 PM

Rename Boat with Lucky Name

Did you properly DE-name the boat first? If you don't Poseidon and the other
gods will be all confused about what boat it is, and bad things will happen.
Here are a couple of ceremonies...

http://www.sailnow.com/sail/denaming1a.html
http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

--

Keith
__

H. M. Leary July 29th 03 02:38 PM

Rename Boat with Lucky Name

In article ,
(Vince LoRusso) wrote:

I'm not really superstitious but the last 2 boats I changed the name
of sunk. How does a person change the name of a boat without
aggravating the marine Gods?

There is an ancient and sacred ritual for this. There are several variants.

All require copious amounts of alcohol.

Some require a Native American Witch Doctor.

More alcohol...

Good luck!

Steve July 29th 03 08:11 PM

Rename Boat with Lucky Name

Sounds like you guys have poor choice of boats or moorings, rather than bad
luck.

I've change boat names before without ill effect. But who knows, what good
luck might have befallen me had I left well enough alone.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Greg Sharpe July 30th 03 10:27 PM

Rename Boat with Lucky Name

I don't know how you would prove it but I was always told you should never
change the name of a boat while it is in the water...