Default Replace Lewmar hatch info

The Lewmar hatches on my Caliber 40 (1992) have finally hazed and spider web
cracked to the point that I would like to replace them.

Has anyone done this? Are there any web sites with photos showing how to get
them out? Parts, I'll need. Sealants used?
Also, what's the replacement material? Is it just smoked Lexan that I can
get at almost any glass supplier?

I've been searching the web, but so far I can't find anything.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

T.O.
SV/Compromise
Chesapeake Bay

T Galloway wrote:
The Lewmar hatches on my Caliber 40 (1992) have finally hazed and spider web
cracked to the point that I would like to replace them.

Has anyone done this? Are there any web sites with photos showing how to get
them out? Parts, I'll need. Sealants used?
Also, what's the replacement material? Is it just smoked Lexan that I can
get at almost any glass supplier?

I've been searching the web, but so far I can't find anything.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

T.O.
SV/Compromise
Chesapeake Bay

I've got a similar problem with my hatches. I read in (I think but
not sure!) Practical Sailor that Lewmar now sells replacement lens
kits. Haven't been able to find them on their web site, but suppose
it's worth the trouble to contact them via email. Otherwise, I'm
going to replace them with polycarbonate or acrylic, and find some
applicable goop to glue them in with. Also, my locks on my hatches are
shot. Broken plastic bits, non lockable. Gotta fix that one too. the
list never ends....

"T Galloway" wrote in message
. ..
The Lewmar hatches on my Caliber 40 (1992) have finally hazed and spider
web cracked to the point that I would like to replace them.

Has anyone done this? Are there any web sites with photos showing how to
get them out? Parts, I'll need. Sealants used?
Also, what's the replacement material? Is it just smoked Lexan that I can
get at almost any glass supplier?

I've been searching the web, but so far I can't find anything.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

T.O.
SV/Compromise
Chesapeake Bay

Hatchmasters offers a repair service for Lewmar hatches. Their website
appears to have some instructions for removing the hatch cover that you
might be able to use.
www.selectplastics.com/hatchmasters/default.htm
I think most hatches are made with acrylic rather than lexan. You could get
this cut to shape at any plastics shop and try bedding it yourself but I
think its going to be messy. I would think any adhesive/sealer that will
stick to acrylic/metal and is somewhat flexible would work. Don't use
silicone, it has poor adhesion.

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message
newsl_Ig.17716$395.16437@edtnps90...

Hatchmasters offers a repair service for Lewmar hatches. Their website
appears to have some instructions for removing the hatch cover that you
might be able to use.
www.selectplastics.com/hatchmasters/default.htm
I think most hatches are made with acrylic rather than lexan. You could
get this cut to shape at any plastics shop and try bedding it yourself but
I think its going to be messy. I would think any adhesive/sealer that
will stick to acrylic/metal and is somewhat flexible would work. Don't
use silicone, it has poor adhesion.

Acrylics generally warn against using petroleum distillate based sealants,
but other than that use whatever you're happy with. It's also a good idea to
lightly scuff the surface of the plastic where it will be caulked, for best
adhesion.