Default N.Y. - L.I.S. - Ptown: "Best" way ??

From those who have done it -- assuming an adequately
sizeable/equipped sailboat, a comparatively very flexible schedule
(although we also want to get to Provincetown reasonably promptly),
that we would prefer to sail as much as and motor as little as
practicable, not to have more than ten-to-twelve hour days underway,
to avoid sailing/motoring at night, and to stay overnight on
established moorings or marinas -- what route(s) from N.Y. to
Provincetown, Mass., are the "best" including good and interesting
good stop-overs, sights, marinas, etc.?

( This is not a "troll" and, instead, we really are serious about
soliciting knowledgeable input/advice for a trip we actually intend to
begin soon. )

Thanks very much.

Investcom

The basic route is through LIS, to Buzzard's Bay, Mass, through the canal at
the top of Buzzard's Bay, and then across Massachusetts Bay to P-town.

There are so many stopping points in LIS and Buzzard's Bay, you can almost wing
it, as long as you have a good VHF and info on marinas and anchorages.

But you do need to plan your canal transit and the Mass bay transit with tides
and time in mind, as there is less flexibility in that part of the journey.
Brian Walker

wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003,
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003,
wrote:

From those who have done it -- assuming an adequately
sizeable/equipped sailboat, a comparatively very flexible schedule
(although we also want to get to Provincetown reasonably promptly),
that we would prefer to sail as much as and motor as little as
practicable, not to have more than ten-to-twelve hour days underway,
to avoid sailing/motoring at night, and to stay overnight on
established moorings or marinas -- what route(s) from N.Y. to
Provincetown, Mass., are the "best" including good and interesting
good stop-overs, sights, marinas, etc.?

( This is not a "troll" and, instead, we really are serious about
soliciting knowledgeable input/advice for a trip we actually intend to
begin soon. )

Thanks very much.

You need to give more specific information about your boat, so we know it's
capabilities, and a more precise time frame. Otherwise there is no way to even
slightly begin to help you.

BB

You're just fencing with me. I've already said -- and a respondent
who is knowledgeable and serious will assume -- that it is more than
just adequate in size/equipment and performance capabilities for the
trip and that the time-frame is amply flexible (which, as I've also
already made plain, is one of the key reasons we were soliciting input
about suggested route(s)/stop-overs/duration/etc.).

Nah - I'm with BB. A respondent who is knowledgable and serious will
_not_ assume anything, but ask for some details. It does make a
difference if you cannot reach x knots - you can always sail slower, but
you will not exceed the hull speed.

Brian

djmarchand

seaSon:

I did that trip last year. Here are some of our stops, not necessarily as a
single route:

Manhasset Bay; Oyster Bay; Huntington; Branford, Ct.; Essex, Ct;
Stonnington, Ct.; Newport, RI; Hadley Harbor (near Woods Hole); Onset.

All have anchorages and most have moorings available. Hadley Harbor is the
prettiest; Essex is an interesting town; Newport is Newport.

David

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:13:35 -0400, "djmarchand"
wrote:

seaSon:

I did that trip last year. Here are some of our stops, not necessarily as a
single route:

Manhasset Bay; Oyster Bay; Huntington; Branford, Ct.; Essex, Ct;
Stonnington, Ct.; Newport, RI; Hadley Harbor (near Woods Hole); Onset.

I would add Cuttyhunk, Mattapoisett, Padanarum, as rental mooring
locations. in Buzzards Bay. Mattapoisett is close to the canal, so a
good place to wait if you are early for the tide.

If you want to travel only in daytime, you should look at the tide
tables for the canal, as well as the Race, and plan when you will be
able to go. The tide charts in the Eldridge are adequate for the
purpose.

Depending on the part of the cycle when you get to the Race, you may
want to transit Fishers Island Sound and exit the strait at Watch
Hill. The hourly current charts will make this clear.

You might want to stop at Block Island either going or returning,

You should monitor VHF 13 when approaching the CC canal. You will
hear the Canal Control communications with commercial traffic. You
will also get warnings about closing of the RR bridge.

Sandwich Harbor, at the eastern end of the canal,, has marina and
fuel-dock facilities.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

The sound of a Great Blue Heron's wingbeats going by your head

Sincere thanks to djmarchand, Investcom, RodneyM, trawler_kid, and Mr.
Peretta for your helpful suggestions.

We're on our way in a few days!

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:41:33 -0400, "Njord" wrote:

Would add Quisit (sp?). Also believe you can anchor behind the Stonington
breakwater at least you could several years ago when we were there.

Quisset, I think.

There are moorings immediately behind the Stonington breakwater but
therre is space to anchor in a little farther.