Default Deep Water Anchoring Technique

Hey all,

I was just talking with a friend who had recently returned from cruising
in Alaska. He told me of two anchoring techniques I'd not heard of
before and would appreciate any information or experience anyone else
has to offer about this.

The first was a different means of attaching the anchor to the chain
that allowed for easier retrieval. Instead of connecting the chain to
the end of the anchor shaft with a swivel and shackle, as would
typically be the case, the chain is instead connected to base of the
anchor (add an additional piece of chain after the swivel that is the
length of the anchor shaft) and attach it where one would instead expect
to attach a trip line. The anchor chain is then run along the shaft
and "tied" to the end of the shaft using a lightweight line such that
any pull from the chain is transfered to the trip line attachment point
but kept in line with the anchor shaft by the small line. This line is
strong enough to withstand normal side loads while allowing the chain to
distribute any real loads onto the shaft at the base. Should the anchor
become stuck in coral or rock one can then drive the boat forward over
the anchor and begin hoisting. This will break the line holding the
chain to the end of the anchor shaft and pull the anchor up from the
trip line attachment. The justification given for this was that when
anchoring in 300' of water, should an anchor become caught one would
have to sacrifice all their chain and rode. This approach allows them
the ability to greatly increase the chances they could retrieve
everything. Has anyone heard of this before?

The second technique was used to quickly bring up the anchor and reduce
the effort required of the windlass by raising the anchor to the surface
using a float. When ready to pull the anchor up, a large stainless
steel hope (1 foot diameter) that is placed around the anchor rode and
then attached to a very large fender or liftbag (or anything with high
lift capacity) and the boat driven in a "C" course around the anchor.
Apparently the drag induced by the fender forces the ring to slide down
the rode and ultimately pulls up the anchor up to it - resulting in the
anchor coming to the surface and hanging off one side of the ring and
the anchor rode hanging off the other. This is supposed to be much
faster, (especially if you have a lot of rope rode as well) and allows
you to get your anchor on deck with less effort on the windlass.

Again, I've never heard of these techniques and would appreciate any
insight you all might have.

Thanks,

Robb

"AMPowers" wrote in message
om...

The first was a different means of attaching the anchor to the
chain that allowed for easier retrieval. Instead of connecting
the chain to the end of the anchor shaft with a swivel and
shackle, as would typically be the case, the chain is instead
connected to base of the anchor (add an additional piece of
chain after the swivel that is the length of the anchor shaft)
and attach it where one would instead expect to attach a trip
line. The anchor chain is then run along the shaft and "tied"
to the end of the shaft using a lightweight line such that any
pull from the chain is transfered to the trip line attachment
point but kept in line with the anchor shaft by the small line.

Heard about this many (30?) years ago in UK magazine Yachting
Monthly, but I'd never seen it in action until relatively
recently, when I saw the idea being used in Greece, where boats
regularly moor bows or stern to a quay, with their anchors about
40 to 60 metres off shore. Late arrivals often drop their anchors
on top of others.

This, of course, is a recipe for great quayside entertainment at
departure time when one or other vessel picks up his anchor with
one or several others hanging off his own.

The answer, of course, is quickly to trip your anchor so the rest
drop into the drink before their owners start crashing into the
quay. Easier said than done. I have a short trip line permanently
attached, which helps. Then I met this bright guy using the
technique you mention. He just sawed through the lashing with a
knife on a gaff he always kept in readyness . . . smiled, sounded
his horn to wake up the (rather loosely moored) neighbours to
their plight, and went on his way. Neat.
--
JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/