News f2s News f2s is offline

Default Deep Water Anchoring Technique

"AMPowers" wrote in message
om...

The first was a different means of attaching the anchor to the
chain that allowed for easier retrieval. Instead of connecting
the chain to the end of the anchor shaft with a swivel and
shackle, as would typically be the case, the chain is instead
connected to base of the anchor (add an additional piece of
chain after the swivel that is the length of the anchor shaft)
and attach it where one would instead expect to attach a trip
line. The anchor chain is then run along the shaft and "tied"
to the end of the shaft using a lightweight line such that any
pull from the chain is transfered to the trip line attachment
point but kept in line with the anchor shaft by the small line.

Heard about this many (30?) years ago in UK magazine Yachting
Monthly, but I'd never seen it in action until relatively
recently, when I saw the idea being used in Greece, where boats
regularly moor bows or stern to a quay, with their anchors about
40 to 60 metres off shore. Late arrivals often drop their anchors
on top of others.

This, of course, is a recipe for great quayside entertainment at
departure time when one or other vessel picks up his anchor with
one or several others hanging off his own.

The answer, of course, is quickly to trip your anchor so the rest
drop into the drink before their owners start crashing into the
quay. Easier said than done. I have a short trip line permanently
attached, which helps. Then I met this bright guy using the
technique you mention. He just sawed through the lashing with a
knife on a gaff he always kept in readyness . . . smiled, sounded
his horn to wake up the (rather loosely moored) neighbours to
their plight, and went on his way. Neat.
--
JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/